Thread: Car Hire

1. Default Car Hire

Hi there,
    Me and a friend are planning an Atlantic Cost road trip next summer from Miami to NYC. I've been surfing around these forums and found some great advice on attractions and time scales.

However im struggling with car hire information.
    We will be wanting to rent a car, one of us is 21 the other 24 when we go, and both been driving since we were 17 with full UK drivers licences. We will want to rent it for about a month, and drop it off in NYC before we explore the city.
    Are there any cheap car hire companies that do different drop off locations for that period of time? Would it be possible to buy a roadworthy car for similar price and sell it at the end of the trip?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Default Rental is the way to go............

But it will cost you, Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

This comes up quite a bit on the forums, and simply put, no it is not worth purchasing a car and trying to sell it at the end of your trip. If it was a longer trip, you have an address in the USA to register it, and you can get through all the other paper work requirements, then maybe.

As for car hire options all you can do is search for the best deals out there that suit your particular needs, they are all competing and deals constantly change. You will come across one way drop of fees and young driver surcharges which are standard policies in most cases and will add significantly to the cost.

Good luck with your search.

3. Default

My girlfriend and I are planning a month long car hire for June/July and were amazed at the price coming from the UK because we are both 23 and the price shoots up if you are under 25.

My recommendation is to get a quote and book by phone, phoning preferably a USA call centre for a car hire company rather than doing in through the UK agents or websites as it turned out to be considerably cheaper.

Default interesting

Welcome to the RTA Forum, drl!

I've got to say, I'm a little surprised that you've found it to be cheaper to book directly. You are making sure that they are including the underage driver fee (typically about $25 a day) when you are talking to the US call center, right?

I only ask because most of the other people in your situation have reported exactly the opposite - they've found much better prices by booking through travel companies in the UK/Europe.

It is quite possible that for whatever reason, it is cheaper in your case to book directly through a US company, which just goes to show with car rentals, the best bet is to look for prices in as many different places as possible.

Default I doubt it

Quote Originally Posted by drl View Post
    My recommendation is to get a quote and book by phone, phoning preferably a USA call centre for a car hire company rather than doing in through the UK agents or websites as it turned out to be considerably cheaper.
    Make sure you get that in writing, and when you do, ask for an itemised quote, one which states how much is rental, how much for taxes, underage charge, etc.. USA businesses (and call centres) are notorious for giving you the rental quote without all the extras, taxes, underage charges etc.

At home, when you ask for a quote, you assume you get the total. Not so over there. You will find this irritating attitude almost everywhere you deal in that country.

Lifey who detests it