1. Default From Chicago to Seattle!

Hey! My friends and I are planning a trip to Washington in January. We WERE going to fly, but due to a huge fear of flying on my end... we're deciding to drive and make it one hell of an adventure! The prime concern I'm having with this is that I see that there's quite a lot of driving through the mountains here... and in the winter I'm curious if it'd be too dangerous to do or if there's another route I could take. Does anybody have any advice for me?

Also for people who've been to Washington or has been on a similar route, are there any places you recommend us seeing? I'd like to look forward to seeing things other than lots of trees, buildings, and terrain.... and I would really like to avoid playing the 'license plate game' at all costs. Haha. Thanks!

South of England.

Default Interstate

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The Interstate system is a priority to keep things moving across the country throughout the year and are designed with gradual curves and gradients, and no they are not dangerous if you drive to the conditions and within your limits. Nobody can predict what the weather might be in January and if you are caught in a severe winter storm it is wise to sit it out somewhere safe like a service station area and let the road crews do there job. Nowhere is immune from winter weather and you won't get across country without going over some mountains so it would be wise to keep an eye on the weather forecasts closer to the time of travel and decide your route then.

Chicago to Seattle is a little over 2000 miles with I 94/90 or I 90 as the main options, and will take around Four X nine hour day's of driving with time for breaks to stretch a little, get some food and gas up. If you can build more time into your trip you would be under less pressure, and if the weather was kind you could do a little sight seeing.