Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trip to Yellwstone and north west USA

Hey,

Me&my wife want to come to the states at the last week of March for 18 days.
    In this time we want to travel in the Yellowstone park. in the other days we want to make the route from Chicago-Niagara falls-Boston. If it's possible we like to fly to Washington DC.
    What I want to ask is : what is the best route for us? it is possible to combine all mode of transportation (flights,car,train...). if is there other things to do in this area?
    If it's better to travel in the Yellowstone at the end of the tour, we don't mind. we also want to know where is the better place to get a flight for starting the trip.

Thanks!!!

Lior

It would be best to do Yellowstone at the very end - most of the roads in the park will still be closed in March. The park is open all year, but facilities are very limited in the winter months.

Default What works for you ?

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

The road trip is a very individual thing and as such there is not one chosen "best route" or a one best way to get around it, so you need to decide what works best for you around what you want to see.

If you wish to fly into Washington then that is what you should do.

Personally I would drive the whole route, you will see more of the country at your pace and you will need only one rental meaning less hassle in bus depots, airports and rental agency's, but that's my opinion.

Starting in Washington and heading to Niagra falls, Chicago and Yellowstone is 5 full day's of driving, leaving you plenty of time to explore along the way, but what is your plan from Yellowstone ? It is possible to have a one way rental from Washington and perhaps fly out from somewhere like Salt Lake City but there would be a one way drop off fee to do so. [You would need to check with the rental company as to what that fee might be.

The later you visit Yellowstone the better, as glc said it will not be fully operational yet.
    You could visit Badlands NP, Mount Rushmore and the Black hills on route to Yellowstone, but I suggest you search the forums for info and study a map and work out what's best for you and then we can help to "fine tune" your plans.

Just out of interest are there any commerically operated trips into Yellowstone when the roads are closed? I always fancied a visit to the park when it was completely snowbound!

I think this is what you may be looking for, Craig.

To the original poster - before committing yourself to a trip to Yellowstone in this time frame, read the official website thoroughly - with all the restrictions and road plowing going on, it may not be what you are expecting.

Default Snowmobile

Quote Originally Posted by UKCraig View Post
    Just out of interest are there any commerically operated trips into Yellowstone when the roads are closed? I always fancied a visit to the park when it was completely snowbound!
    Something that caught my attention was snowmobile rentals, which is a popular way to explore the park during the winter months. I think new regulations mean you need an experienced guide with you, [which might not be such a bad thing in this environment] but it's something I would love to do one day.

First - Thanks for your response. Like I can see here we'll sinish our trip in the Yellowsonte park.
    Your advise to travel by car for all the way seems like the better one but the big wuestion is if the time we have is enough? we want to spend in Yellowsonte park something like 3-4 days. I'm sure that there is a lot of things to do and see for all the way but for your opinion, what is the best route in case we strat in Washington and finish in Salt Lake City?

Thanks!

Lior

Default Your choices.

You have enough time but you have to decide how you want to spend it, such as in Washington DC, Niagara Falls and Chicago.

If you decide to travel by car you have to ask yourself how long you want to spend driving each day. We generally recommend between 500 and 550 miles per day maximum, and that means driving for around 9-10 hours a day with time for short breaks and filling with up with gas. With these boundary's you could get from Washington to Niagara in a day and then to Chicago in another day's travel. From Chicago to Yellowstone it would be a 3 day journey and 1 more to Salt Lake city. That is 6 days gone plus 3 or 4 in Yellowstone, leaves you 7 or 8 days to play with. You could have a couple of days at each of your 3 other destinations and reduce drive times a little, add a day or 2 somewhere or visit other places along the way, like those I mentioned previously.

As I have said before there is no one best route, but if you look at Google maps here I have outlined a route so that you can look for places of interest and get an idea of route. Also you can click on the route and drag and drop the blue line to experiment with taking different routes. The times listed for the journey's are always over optimistic and all but impossible to match.
    Your advise to travel by car for all the way seems like the better one
    As I explained, that is what I would do, but you have to decide what works best for you, your time scale and overall travel plans. Once you have made some decisions we will be able to look over your route and let you know if it needs "tweaking" a little.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 11-10-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: added paragraph breaks

Default Thanks!!!

Thank you so much,

I think I'll take your advice and do thr trip by car. latter I will see how we're going to spend the time for all the routr with good things to see.

have a good day.

Lior

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I think this is what you may be looking for, Craig.
    That's very cool indeed - thanks :)