The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Sorry to See Bob Go

Route 66ers are sad at the approaching death of Road Icon Bob Waldemire whom I regard as the true spirit of the road.

He was the person the hippie van Fillmore in the movie "Cars" was based on. His legacy will be his art. You can always tell when you see a Bob Waldemire piece of art because of its crowded style.

We've been fortunate to meet him many times in the last 7 years. Right now, he is back in Springfield, Illinois, and living out his final days in his converted school bus. He is having his final art show on Nov. 22nd.

The Chicago Tribune had an article about him today which was accompanied by an excellent video of a recent interview with him.

Liz and I are thinking about driving there next week to pay our last respects.

He'll be missed.
    Last edited by AZBuck; 11-05-2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Fixed link

Default Some character.

Hard to know what to say, it's sad but I guess he summed it up best in his own words.

"Even if I died 10 years ago, I can't imagine having lived a fuller life," Waldmire said,

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Bob Waldmire Died

Sorry to report the death of Bob Waldmire this morning at 8:30.

The road just won't be the same.

Default Thanks for the news

Passings are a vivid part of life and road tripping... So many, many dear friends have passed on since we started this RTA site.