Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Aussie Couple Road Trip

Hi Everybody!
    My husband and I are coming to America for a month over December and January 2009/10.
    We are hiring a campervan and plan to drive from LA to New York.
    We have a month to complete this trip...
    We are looking for help in choosing the must see destinations between these cities and possibly a great scenic route to follow.
    We are interested in cultural experiences and thought we would like to see Native American Reserves, Rodeos, maybe a large sporting event etc....
    Look forward to your suggestions!!!
    Bec & Dan

Hi and welcome to RoadTrip America. Do you have a motorhome organised yet? Have you found a company who will let you do that trip without a horrendous one-way fee? Whilst traveling at that time of year I would generally recommend having a very fluid itinerary as the weather can create issues on occasions and, whilst traveling the interstates generally won't be too much of an issue, it will almost certainly prevent you from visiting certain destinations such as national parks

3. Default

Hi UKCraig,
    Yes, we have organised our motorhome and were lucky enough to get them to waive the one way fee (we shopped around ALOT!)... so it works out fairly reasonably...
    We do want a fairly loose intinerary as we don't want to be rushing everywhere and not enjoying our holiday! Basically we want to have a few things we can't miss along the way, and then just see where we end up!
    What sort of weather issues do you think we may encounter? Rain? Snow? and what does that mean for our travel? (Will alot of roads be closed?)
    We understand that major highways will make our trip easier, however we don't really want to miss anything because of them, so we are happy to get off them and travel local roads wherever possible.

Default Sooooo much !

Hi,

It is most likely that while travelling this time of year you will encounter all types of weather so it's important to keep an eye on weather updates. Some high elevation passes can close in October and not open again untill May or June due to snow accumulation. Generally speaking it shouldn't have a big affect on your trip with so much to choose from but you might come across a winter storm that could affect your plans on any given day.

For planning, I think at this point you need to look at a map and use the search button to find your way around the forums to gain info. When you have started to find places of interest to you, put some dots on the map, we can then help you join those dot's together.
    Until such time we can't help much as we could fill pages and pages of suggestions that you couldn't see in a lifetime and "must sees" are an individual thing that you need to work out which one's work for you.

Enjoy the planning and keep asking questions as you build your trip !

Well done on finding a company prepared to waive the one-way fee - who did you go with?

How much will the weather affect your plans? Well, seeing you are planning a very loose itinerary, probably not so much. But, as Dave suggests, always keep an eye and ear on what the weather is doing in your area and in the areas in which you plan to head next and plan accordingly. It might be necessary to amend your plans at short notice but, so long as you have the ability to do this, you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Couple View Post
    Hi UKCraig,
    Yes, we have organised our motorhome and were lucky enough to get them to waive the one way fee (we shopped around ALOT!)... so it works out fairly reasonably...
    Sometimes if it looks too good to be true... it is! I trust you did check out this thread before you booked.

Lifey in Melbourne

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Hopefully, you will be considering Route 66 to get from LA to Chicago, or, at least a part of it. It's a real taste of the US.

8. Default

wow excellent plan ! we are also aussies and going over for 4 weeks leaving 23rd december and coming back 23rd Jan from Sydney.

we looked everywhere to get a good camper van as hostels are far between but no luck ! where did you get yours from and how much ?

we are just doing california for the 4 weeks but your trip sounds great !

Quote Originally Posted by righthanddrive View Post
    ........... as hostels are far between.....
    Check here, I am sure you will find that they are not as far apart as you may think.

On the other hand, with two or more, it can often be cheaper to find a cheap motel along the way. These are typically the ones which do not advertise nor do they have a presence on the web. Just make sure you ask to see the room before you commit to paying.

Lifey

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Check here, I am sure you will find that they are not as far apart as you may think.

On the other hand, with two or more, it can often be cheaper to find a cheap motel along the way. These are typically the ones which do not advertise nor do they have a presence on the web. Just make sure you ask to see the room before you commit to paying.

Lifey
    Thanks ! I will look into this we got a lonley plant for our trip and there where not as many as I would have thought... I guess I like hostels as you meet another travelers and get a difference experience...

cheers !