1. Default The Lonliest Road?!

Hello!
    This is my first post (I was inspired by all the wonderfully logical help you all gave the 4 teenagers with $4000 post, so here I am)

My trip details are:

Vail, Colorado to Northern California/Oregon border.

Time is not really an issue, can take up to a whole week.

Very limited budget, would like to spend no more than $800 total (food, gas, sleeping)

Car gets 20 mpg

Number one question:

When highway 70 ends and turns into the 50 across Nevada it is called "The Loneliest Road". This sounds very intimidating, but looks like the shortest route and seems like it could save some gas money. Does anyone know how lonely or terrible this road is?

Help?
    Last edited by Araya Sunshine; 11-01-2009 at 10:11 PM.

Here is an article on this site about it.

I'd take advantage of gas when you see it - fill up in Delta, Ely, and Austin. It is absolutely NOT a terrible road, it's a very well maintained 2 lane highway. It's just desolate!

3. Default

Ahhh but what about car trouble? It seems so intimidating, yet I still want to try it. What about snow in November???

I can't advise on snow as I drove it in June but, whilst it can be a reasonble distance between services, the road itself was anything but lonely. I think the longest I would have gone between seeing another car would have been a minute or two. I don't think you'll have any trouble if you should break down or anything like that.

Default It looks fine.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Is it a solo trip ?

A budget of $115 a day seems healthy enough to me, that's if you want to take 7 days and do a little exploring but the trip itself could be done in 3 reasonably comfortable day's and a lot cheaper. I doubt you would use more gas going via I 80 which is the quickest route but as already said, the Loneliest Rd is not that lonely and help would never be far away if the need arises.
    I guess it comes down to your own personal goal, do you want to get from A to B as quickly and cheaply as possible or take your time and explore on the way.

6. Default

All right, I'm convinced. I think I'm going to go for the Loneliest Road...just seems too intertesting to pass up. Thanks for all the replies, you guys made it sound less and less intimidating.

I just broke down today and need a new radiator, so I guess I won't have to worry about overheating all the way out there. We'll see how it goes!

I know it has been nearly a year since this tread was started, but I was wondering what the OP's experience was like after finally taking this famed highway?

The OP hasn't been back on the forum in a year, so I'd say its very unlikely that you will get any response. However, all of the articles on this site are based on first hand experiences, so I would suggest you take a look at the one linked above.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    The OP hasn't been back on the forum in a year, so I'd say its very unlikely that you will get any response. However, all of the articles on this site are based on first hand experiences, so I would suggest you take a look at the one linked above.
    After checking the OP's profile, I realized it was unlikely that I would hear anything back, but I figured it was worth a shot. I did read the articles linked above, and I found them informative. It seems like each person had quite a different experience driving through The Lonliest Road. I will have to see it for myself.