Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Western Loop starting/ending in S.F.

Hi,

I live in the Bay Area and I'm trying to plan a fairly large road trip to see several states. I don't exactly know what I'm doing, right now I'm trying to plan a route. I want to get a hint of the mid-west, as well as Idaho, Utah, Colorado, South Dakota (Maybe North Dakota too - Not sure, what's there to see?!) and maybe Oregon/Washington although these two could be saved for a later, smaller trip since they aren't too far from me to begin with.

I just want to see the country. My route here is simply based on general places I want to see, there is no real reason I have chosen the exact roads I have except Highway 50 across Nevada and Mount Rushmore. The rest is up in the air, I just chose major cities as landmarks to mark my general path. Scenic routes are important to me, so if you can recommend changes that would be great. That doesn't mean I don't want to see big cities though.

Here is a rough path that I've pieced together. How long does something like this take assuming I drive during the day and spend a reasonable amount of time outside the car enjoying myself? 3 weeks?

******Updated route below, see post #6******

Sorry for my rookie-ness, just looking for some guidance!
    Last edited by andrew61987; 10-30-2009 at 06:24 PM.

Default Looks Fine

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

There is absolutely nothing wrong, and a whole lot right, with your proposed RoadTrip. In particular, if you have designed it to get to places that you want to see, then it is perfect for you. 5,000 or so miles is a comfortable distance to cover in three weeks, and will leave lots of time to spend at parks and attractions along the way as well as to take some less well traveled roads. In fact, if they appeal to you, you could even add some of the National Parks of southern Utah, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Death Valley and/or Yosemite to this trip if you find yourself running ahead of schedule.

AZBuck

3. Default

When I'm out on the road, assuming no flukes like big and popular local events, will I typically have trouble finding an available place to stay the night without a reservation for 50 bucks or less? I don't care if it's skanky (sleeping bags on the beds, sandals in the shower, you know the drill!).

I'm also open to finding camp grounds along the way and staying the night in that fashion, would probably save a bit of money too. Do people do this?

Default Hostels ?

Many people camp along the way and it can be great fun. If you are visiting National parks you would be advised to book ahead to guarantee a spot, although they do have walk in sites on a first come first served basis but they fill early. Out of town you can find cheap lodgings but once you hit the city centre or around a National park the rates tend to go up the closer you are to them. Hostels are another option in some places if you don't mind using them.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew61987 View Post
    When I'm out on the road, assuming no flukes like big and popular local events, will I typically have trouble finding an available place to stay the night without a reservation for 50 bucks or less? I don't care if it's skanky (sleeping bags on the beds, sandals in the shower, you know the drill!).
    The best site I know of with the most comprehensive listing of hostels is here. Normally you will not need to book ahead, however, in major cities, in popular tourist places such as NPs and over public holidays I would make enquiries at least a couple of days in advance.

Sleeping bags are typically not allowed in hostels (I would not stay in one where they are allowed). They are a major cause of the transfer of flea and bed bug infections.

It is a good idea to make a habit of using footwear in community showers, whether this is in campgrounds, hostels or hotels. The fungus conditions which are spread through showers and baths are extremely difficult to get rid of.

Lifey - always cautious

6. Default

I have updated my route slightly based on a suggestion to see Craters of the Moon in Idaho. This is what I hope to do - keep a running "update" of my route as (hopefully!) suggestion come in.

Updated route:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,19.753418&z=6

Right now I'm looking for things to do in Kansas and Nebraska. I know I want to see them, but it would be nice to do more than just drive through them.

Default a few random things to consider

Looks like a fun trip! Here's some things you may or may not want to consider.

Instead of continuing on I70 all the way to Denver, you could pop north in I15 and take US40 through to Granby (or pop up later closer to Denver), then through Rocky Mountain National Park on US34.

Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park

Photo: Don Casey

Helena MT, just north of Butte where you turn south is one of my favorite towns. A bit upstream from Helena is Gates of the Mountains, a constricted rock passage that the Missouri river flows through; boat tours availabe.

West of Dillon MT is the ghost town of Bannock. Part of the road there is dirt; what kind of wheels will you be driving?

Just before Craters of the Moon is EBR-1, an early experimental nuclear facility now open to the public.

Default Serene Nebraska

Quote Originally Posted by andrew61987 View Post

Right now I'm looking for things to do in Kansas and Nebraska. I know I want to see them, but it would be nice to do more than just drive through them.
    Well, I guess it all depends on what you are interested in, but here is what I found particularly attractive about Nebraska.....

The quiet serenity of route 97, north of North Platte - a two lane highway which deserves to be traversed at a gentle pace to allow the peace of the rolling hills to penetrate. A place to meditate. I only saw two cars along this road, on a Sunday morning.

Carhenge at Alliance - one of these quirky touristy displays; well worth visiting..... and free!

Scenic highway 2 from Alliance to Grand Island with a stop half way at Nebraska National Forest. Victoria Springs and Bowman lake are small detours off the road.

The bridge across I-80 at Kearney.... but be aware, it closes at 4pm.

And then there is Sidney... which appears to be held together by Cabelas. I believe it is their headquarters, though I did not have time to check it out. Ye gotta have deep pockets to shop there.

And I am sure you will find lots more. It is a quiet State. Unless you are in a great hurry, I urge you to drive gently and absorb the countryside. It is so refreshing after big city life. Even along I-80, I set my cruise at 60mph, and happily cruised along, with other traffic flying past at 75+.

Lifey who has fond memories of Nebraska
    Last edited by Lifemagician; 10-30-2009 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CalOldBlue View Post
    Looks like a fun trip! Here's some things you may or may not want to consider.

Instead of continuing on I70 all the way to Denver, you could pop north in I15 and take US40 through to Granby (or pop up later closer to Denver), then through Rocky Mountain National Park on US34.

Bear Lake in Rocky Mountain National Park
    That ain't what Bear Lake looked like when I was there.

:-(

10. Default

I picked up a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis just today in preparation for the trip. I wanted another car anyway since the Camaro is kinda tough on freezing cold mornings so it fills a need while being a great road trip car.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...o/P1050456.jpg