1. Default South Park to Texas Hill Country

I am looking at a spring break camping trip (Mar 26-April 4) from Fairplay, Co. to Tx. with the kids, 11 and 13. We will likely be stopping in Graham, Tx. and maybe Ft. Worth for a bit, then southward. I am looking for scenic routes, places to eat, camp, kid-friendly attractions, etc.
    Thanks, Wes
    Last edited by WesM; 10-30-2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: clarity

Default husawhere?

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

It tough to provide any advise when we don't know where you are starting from, and saying you might stop in graham doesn't mean anything to most people who are going to look at this forum.

I will note that late march weather can be very unpredicatable. Sometimes you'll see great warm temperature, but there are also days where it will be quite cool, if not down right cold even in texas. I'd make sure you have some good 3/4 season camping gear if camping is going to be a major portion of your trip.

3. Default Texas Hill Country

You HAVE to go to the San Antonio area. It is so full of culture! The Riverwalk and Alamo are always a must. If you are looking for something a little smaller, You have to check out Gruene. Gruene, Texas is this tiny town right next to New Braunfels (another great town) that has so much history. Gruene Hall is one of the first places George Strait played and part of the movie Michael with John Travolta was filmed there. It's an amazing place! If you can swing by on one of the many Market Days of Gruene you are in for an amazing treat. If you go down the road about 5 minutes from Gruene, Texas you will run smack-dab into Schlitterbahn. Schlitterbahn is THE largest waterpark in the world. I was a season pass holder for a year and was there constantly. You could also drive up FM 306 about 15 miles and you will find Canyon Lake. Beautiful lake out there. These are just some places to go.. Hope your trip goes well!

E-mail info removed
    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-30-2009 at 01:11 PM.

4. Default

I was looking at Schlitterbahn's website and saw that the waterpark doesn't open until late April. Bummer! I'm hoping that we wouldn't be too early for the bluebonnets blooming. Coming from just south of Breckenridge, Co. at over 9,900' of elevation, we have some pretty good cool weather camping gear and will be prepared for it.
    Born and raised in Texas, though it has been a while, and I was wanting to show off that part of the country to the kids. Been to Austin, but somehow stopped before San Antonio. Will have to push on a little farther south, I suppose. I really do love the small towns of the Hill country, like Gruene. Thinking about Fredericksburg and Pedernales Falls area too. One thing is for sure. We will run out of time before we run out of places to visit down there. Any more tips, maybe some good guidebooks to pick up?

Default Local info.

Quote Originally Posted by WesM View Post
    Any more tips, maybe some good guidebooks to pick up?
    Visitor centres and roadside rest areas are great for picking up free guides and info, and you can't beat talking to the people at them and other locals.

Depending on your time and interests you might find parts of New Mexico a possibility such Carlsbad caverns, White sands NP and the Santa Fe, Taos area while travelling.

Search the forums using key words and you will find Lot's more info available.

6. Default

Thinking about Fredericksburg and Pedernales Falls area too. One thing is for sure. We will run out of time before we run out of places to visit down there. Any more tips, maybe some good guidebooks to pick up?
    If you are coming throught El Paso & I 10 try to stop by Balmorhea State Park it's about 150 miles east of El Paso just look for the Balmorhea exit its a few miles east of the I 20 exit & about 10 miles south of I 10. B.S.P. has a huge swimming pool fed by San Solomon Springs & stays about 70 degres the Park is open the all year & has a nice campgrounds & small motel.
    Also about 30 miles father south on S Hy 17 is the little town of Ft Davis & the Old Ft Davis a Nat History Site. & The Ft Davis State Park with campgrounds & a motel. Also the McDonald Observatory on a near by mountain Balmorhea is flat land & Ft Davis is in the Davis Mountains
    I have attached photos first 3 are of Balmoehea S P & on top of Mount Locke
    near the McDonald Obsevatory. Hope that you enjoy your spring trip to TX

billy bob

7-9-07 Trey Rowan @ Balmorhea S. P. Calif Trip 021 (2).jpg 7-10-07 Balmorhea S. P. Calif Trip 064.jpg 7-9-07 Our Camp @ Balmorhea S P Calif. Trip 001.jpg
    , 7-9-07Trey & Bill Rowan on top Mount Locke highest point on Tx Hy's 6791 ft Calif Trip 054.jpg
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 11-18-2009 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Fixed quote format

Default Howdy.

Hi billy bob, welcome to the RTA forums !

Thanks for dropping by and offering advice on your first post.

Enjoy the RTA site !