1. Default Knoxville, TN to Seattle

I will be moving from Knoxville to Seattle in the next couple of weeks and want to do this as a road trip (my furniture will be going separately by movers) as opposed to shipping my car. I can't find anyone to go with me and being from the south, I am not equipped for snowy driving - my car is not AWD and I don't have tire chains, nor do I know how to put them on. I want to take the route going through St. Louis, Kansas City, Denver, Salt Lake City and Boise just to see some places I've never seen. I know I can't predict the weather, but am I likely going to run into problems snow-wise? Will I be going through mountain passes that require tire chains?

Joplin MO

If the weather is bad enough to require chains, you should be safe in a hotel, not out on the road. Just keep an eye on weather conditions and adjust your route if necessary.

South of England.

Default Keeping safe.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

If you are sticking mainly to Interstate you should be fine, thousands of people use them each day to go about their daily business, but you should allow yourself plenty of time so that if a situation arises where you are in a heavy storm you can pull off the road somewhere warm and safe [services]and let the road crews do their work. Of course if you have the time and the weather is OK then their is no reason you couldn't do a little exploring, just keep up to date with the forecasts as conditions can change quickly.
    To follow your route it is approx 2,700 miles and in good conditions we would recommend taking a full 5-6 days to get there, travelling between 8 and 10 hours a day, so if you can give yourself a week or more you will be in pretty good shape.
    If your car hasn't had a full check up and service lately I would make sure it does before leaving, getting the fluids and belts checked and paying attention to safety matters such as tyres, brakes and wiper blades.

Have a great journey !