Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Los Angeles to Michigan during winter...

Hi there,
    I'm planning to take a road trip from Los Angeles to mid part of Michigan around Christmas time. This trip will be around 2,700 miles. I plan to drive north to Salt Lake City and then drive east from there. I have two issues about this trip. One, will I be able to rent a car one-way from enterprise for such a long distance? Two, should I worry about the weather? I mean will I be stuck on the road for days at a time? I will only use the main freeways in order to make sure I don't get stuck in the snow for days. I don't mind if the whole trip takes about 7-10 days but anything more than that would be too much. What do you guys think?

This is the route I plan to take:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,79.013672&z=4

How long would it take me around Christmas time?

Default modifications

Weclome to the RTA Forum!

Well, you can certainly make this trip in the time you've got available. If the weather is good, then you can make the trip in 5 days, and it would take an extremely impressive storm to delay your trip by more than an additional day or two.

For the car, you should be able to find a rental one way without too much difficulty. You will pay a one way fee that will likely be add a few hundred dollars to your rental cost. You mentioned enterprise, is there a specific reason you've chosen that company? From my experience, they tend to be one of the more expensive and restrictive choices when it comes to one way rentals. Certainly contact them to see what they can offer, but I would also be shopping around so you find the best deal.

Additionally, you might not want to lock yourself into using the I-80 route. It certainly is a good choice in general, and all things being equal, its probably the route I'd pick if I was going to give odds on seeing the best conditions. However, I'd be keeping my options open, and possibly using I-40 or I-70 to get east, if it looks like there will be bad weather in the northern plains at the time of your trip.

Default double checking

Actually, I guess i just did a quick look at your map and didn't notice the details. I saw I-80 and assumed you were taking I-15 to Salt lake city and heading east from there.

Why exactly are you planning to go all the way up to Sacramento before getting on I-80? That adds almost a full day of travel to your trip (you could probably make it in 4 days otherwise) it also means you'll have to cross the Sierras adding another potential weather issue to your travels.

4. Default

Hi there,
    Thank you for the information. The reason I chose enterprise is because I live in a small town with not many options. Only certain companies have a branch here. I may have to look further.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Actually, I guess i just did a quick look at your map and didn't notice the details. I saw I-80 and assumed you were taking I-15 to Salt lake city and heading east from there.

Why exactly are you planning to go all the way up to Sacramento before getting on I-80? That adds almost a full day of travel to your trip (you could probably make it in 4 days otherwise) it also means you'll have to cross the Sierras adding another potential weather issue to your travels.
    There is really no reason to that. What route would you suggest?

Default more shopping around

Having some flexability in your pickup and drop off options will help your price a lot.

If you could find a way to drop the car off in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Saginaw, or even Detroit you may end up paying quite a bit less and have a lot more options. I'd shop among all of them because while the distance isn't much different, the specific city where you drop the car could also have a significant impact on how much your rental will cost.

The route I would suggest is the route that I was assuming that you were using: I-15 to Salt Lake, and I-80 from there.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Having some flexability in your pickup and drop off options will help your price a lot.

If you could find a way to drop the car off in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Saginaw, or even Detroit you may end up paying quite a bit less and have a lot more options. I'd shop among all of them because while the distance isn't much different, the specific city where you drop the car could also have a significant impact on how much your rental will cost.
    But this would also mean I have to take my own car to Detroit or Grand Rapids and pay for parking for a week, which may come down to same cost. I live in central Michigan and I plan to fly to Los Angeles and drive back home by the way.

Default that may be

If you end up paying for parking, then I suppose you are right. Of course, if you've got a friend or relative you could pick you up or drive with you to a rental agency to drop off the car it wouldn't be an issue.

The point is that you can save some money if you can be a little creative with your shopping.

Of course, I'm becoming quite confused with the point of your trip now anyway. Flying out and driving back is going to be far more expensive than just doing a round trip flight, yet it sounded like from your plans that your primary goal of this trip was to get back to Michigan quickly.

9. Default

My plan is to get back to Michigan quickly, but I mean 7-8 days by quickly. I have some time off from school so I don't mind driving back home. I like road trips. I just don't want to be stuck somewhere for days because of a snow storm, that's all. What's the speed limit on those freeways during winter? Do they decrease because of the snow or are they always 70 as long as there is no ongoing snow storm?

Default reasonable

Speed limits never change because of a season, however they can change based on the conditions. Regardless of what a speed limit sign says, you can be ticketed for driving too fast for the conditions if you are driving in bad weather of any type at any time of year.