Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default Urgent advice needed! Denver airport to Tucson Arizona 30th oct-6th Nov

    Hope someone out there can help..

    I am due to fly into Denver this Friday to join my brother on a motorcycle trip to Tucson Arizona.
    The plan is that he drives to Denver airport from Eagle on Friday and will be towing an open trailer with our 2 motorcycles on board, then we will drive to Tucson where we will leave the car at a friend's house and tour around Arizona on the motorcycles.

    Problem is....he has just rang to tell me snow has fallen and is worried that we are going to have great difficulty pulling the trailer on the mountain passes if they are thick with snow.. or the trip may not be possible if roads are going to be closed..

    Can anyone advise what weather is forecast and is there an alternative route we can take that would make the journey less hazardous.

    As I was coming over solely for the motorcycle trip I am now unsure whether the best thing to do is cancel my flight/holiday..

    This would be the last resort so if anyone can help or advise where we go from here it would be GREATLY appreciated!

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Northern Ireland

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Tucson, AZ

    Default From the Horse's Mouth

    Céad Míle Fáilte! Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

    Here is the traffic/weather advisory issued by the National Weather Service:

    ".. Winter Weather Advisory in effect from noon Wednesday to 6 PM MDT Thursday...
    The National Weather Service in Pueblo has issued a Winter Weather Advisory for snow... which is in effect from noon Wednesday to 6 PM MDT Thursday.
    This advisory is in effect for southern El Paso county.
    Snow will begin across portions of El Paso county by Wednesday morning... and is expected to become heavy at times and more persistent by Wednesday afternoon through Wednesday night. total snowfall accumulations of 3 to 8 inches can be expected... with the heaviest amounts falling to the west and north of the city of Colorado Springs.
    Precautionary/Preparedness actions...
    If you are planning to travel in the advisory area during the time of the advisory... listen to the latest weather forecast and consider traveling at another time or by another route."

    Given the efficiency of the road crews in Colorado,. I would expect the major Interstates such as I-25 south to New Mexico and Arizona to be open on Friday and for conditions to improve as you head south. If it were me, I would not be canceling my travel plans, but would keep an eye on the weather and be prepared on the chance that I might have to delay my departure from Denver or take a bit longer on the drive.

    Last edited by AZBuck; 10-27-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Typos

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Albuquerque, New Mexico

    Default Current Denver weather forecast

    It looks like the weather in Colorado will be clearing by Friday. Here are a few screenshots of the current forecasts from the National Weather Service.

    Denver,CO Graphic Forecast

    Pueblo, CO Graphic Forecast

    Denver 7-day forecast

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Joplin MO


    The normal fastest route from Denver to Tucson shouldn't be a major problem - I-25 to Hatch NM, NM-26 to Deming, I-10 to Tucson. It's a 2 day drive. Your brother is going to have a harder time getting from Eagle to Denver than you will from Denver to Tucson.

  5. #5

    Default Many thanks

    Many thanks for the advice, AZ Buck, GLC and Howard.

    You have all given me food for thought and I will certainly take it on board when making my decision on whether to cancel the trip.

    The optimist in me says to just take my chances and hope for the best.

    Plus I'll have 'The luck of the Irish' behind me! lol.



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Joplin MO


    Out of curiosity, what does your brother have for a tow vehicle?

Similar Threads

  1. Help needed - Roadtrip: Denver - Seattle - S.F - Las Vegas - Denver
    By Dannewelander in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-16-2009, 12:00 PM
  2. Urgent advice needed please!yosemite/lake tahoe/lassen and Mt Shasta
    By medicmum in forum Fall & Winter RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
  3. SLC/Provo to Denver - Advice?
    By California One in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2008, 05:19 PM
  4. Denver to Yellowstone & back in May, advice please
    By UK Kiwi in forum Spring RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
  5. 2 Week Western Road Trip Advice Needed Desperately
    By SummerB in forum Planning Summer RoadTrips
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 09:45 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  • Find the Perfect Hotel
    Search RoadTrip Motels
    Enter city name