Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Alberta to Pittsburgh, PA

Hi Everyone, We are relocating to the Pittsburgh area next spring and thinking about driving. Can anyone give me an idea of how long it might take from southern Alberta to Pittsburgh? We're thinking about taking the Great Northern (US-2) through Montana for the first leg. Is this a good route to take? Thanks.

Default a telltale sign

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

From Calgary to Pittburgh its roughly 2200 miles (3400km), which can be done with 4 full days on the road. You can adjust to your starting city, but it would still be in the same ballpark.

I can tell that you've been reading Roadtrip USA (either the book or the website) as no one else refers to US-2 as the "Great Northern." There is nothing wrong with that route at all, but I also wouldn't lock yourself in as if that is your only choice for routings. You could also make your way across southern Canada, before heading south at Winnipeg, or you could go farther south in Montana and take MT-200 or I-94 across.

If you are going to head into the US first, then If time is a factor, then I'd probably try to get to I-94 by Glendive MT or western North Dakota. In addition to being faster , that's also going to take you right by Teddy Roosevelt National Park - one of my favorite, but often overlooked gems of the National Park system.

3. Default thanks for the warm welcome

Hi MM, you are correct re Roadtrip USA, haha. We are hoping to avoid the stretch through Sask and Manitoba if possible, without significantly increasing our travel time. I will investigate the I-94 recommendation. Thank you.

Default what are you avoiding

Are you avoiding it because you've driven it a million times before, or is there some other reason that you are avoiding that area? The landscapes of Northern Montana and North Dakota really aren't that different from Sask and Manitoba.

Of course, if you've got more time available, you've got lots of other potential options too, beyond I-94. It really just depends upon what it is you are looking for.

5. Default zzzzzzz

Yes, we've driven it before and are hoping to find a route with a little more visual interest. We're going to have a dog in the car so don't want the drive to take much longer than necessary. That will likely limit our options. Thanks.

Default Time for the Dog

In my experience, dogs do very well on RoadTrips, and as Michael pointed out this trip is going to take four days. You really shouldn't try to make it in less, and adding some 'visually interesting' alternatives shouldn't add too much to that. You will need to chop your trip up into much shorter segments, say a few hours at a time to give the dog some exercise breaks, but you should be doing that for yourself in any case. One striking stretch of highway that's more or less on your way is MT-200 through the badlands of eastern Montana, and it will also return you to I-94 in time to see Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

AZBuck

7. Default Thanks AZ

Our pooch loves the car so will likely enjoy it. The route through Montana to I-94 sounds like a good one. Neither of us has driven through the US so it will be a new adventure. I appreciate all the suggestions.

8. Default Routes to Bypass Minneapolis and Chicago

Hi Everyone,
    Our roadtrip takes place in a few weeks. Our planned route will take us from Alberta to Pennsylvania via Sask thru NDakota and Minnesota via the I-94. We're looking for an alternate route to avoid traffic in the Minneapolis and Chicago areas (I-29 to I-80 maybe?). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    SM
    Last edited by AZBuck; 06-09-2010 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Merged with previous posts. Please do not start multiple threads for the same trip.

Default Grin and Bear It

Any detour that seriously bypasses both Minneapolis/St. Paul and Chicago would add about 200 miles to your 2,000 mile trip. That's 3-4 hours (plus gas), and it's hard to imagine that you'll waste that much time in traffic in those two metropolitan areas. Note that taking I-29 to I-80 costs you 250 miles and still leaves you driving through the southern edge of the Chicago metro area. I just don't see where you can recoup your 'loses' enough to make this effort worthwhile.

AZBuck

Default bypasses

I agree going all the way down I-29 is going to add far more miles than make sense.

Your best bet is just to use the various bypasses already built into the Interstate System.

Getting around Minneapolis, I-694 will take you around the north side of the twin cities, avoiding the downtowns of both Minneapolis and St. Paul. I really don't find traffic in Minneapolis to be all that bad except during rush hour.

For Chicago, you've got 2 options. I-290 to I-294 will avoid downtown. Another option that will take you even farther away from the heart of Chicago is I-290 to I-355 to I-80. Personally, I usually take I-294 unless its rush hour, since its a bit shorter, but if you really dislike the idea of traffic it would be pretty rare to see traffic on this route - until you get around Gary but there's really no option for avoiding that potential trouble spot.