1. Default san diego to New York

Hi does anyone have any views on the best route for this journey in November, I want to do it in 4 days and also enjoy the ride. thanks

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Is there any particular reason you want to make the trip in four days? The route from San Diego to NYC is roughly 3000 miles. To be able to cover this distance in four days by the quickest route is asking quite a bit, and is outside the range of what we consider safe daily driving distances and times. In five days it can be done driving 12 hours a day. I urge you to reconsider the amount of time you have to make this journey.

What you are thinking of attempting certainly would not be an enjoyable ride, as you would have no time to stop anywhere and take in the scenery.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default a walking contradiction

I agree with Tim that your desires to have "an enjoyable ride" and make this trip in 4 days are very contradictory goals, even for the hardiest road warrior. You'd need to be on the road for more than 700 miles every day, and in November that means if you leave before sun rise and stop only for quick rest/fuel/food breaks, it will be dark by the time you stop for the night. It also requires a pace faster than allowed by law for professional drivers. This would require a whole lot of work to do it safely, and so work is exactly what you'd need to treat this trip as. 5 days would allow you to make the trip safely and comfortably, and with 6 you could actually start making stops where you do more than explore what's right next to the interstate.

For routes, there's really no one sized fits all best route, especially in november, when the specific weather conditions can make a huge difference in your ability to maintain cruising speeds. Since any and every cross country interstate can and does see winter weather at times, that's something you'll have to decide based on the specifics of your trip.

4. Default thanks, I could make it 5 days, what do you think is the most scenic route

thnaks Richard

Joplin MO

Weather permitting - I-15/I-70/I-71/I-76/I-80. If there's bad weather in the Colorado Rockies, I-15/I-40/I-44/I-70/I-71/I-76/I-80. If you don't mind paying high tolls, I-15/I-70/I-76/I-80.