Thread: West coast trip

1. Default West coast trip

Hi all,

Iím from the UK and have three weeks off working coming up in mid November, in those three weeks I would like to see as much of the west coast as I can. I will be travelling alone so any tips about hotel/motels without single supplements would be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of starting the trip in San Francisco and hiring a car there then driving down to perhaps San Diego. I would like to see Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon so any hints on routes to incorporate them would be great!

Joplin MO

There is no such thing as a single supplement in American hotels that I'm aware of. You will pay the same price or less for a room for one person as opposed to 2 or more.

3 weeks is plenty of time to see quite a bit of the western US. This is one of the most popular trips discussed here.

South of England.

Default Very popular.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

As glc said, three weeks is a nice amount of time to do some exploring around the Southwest, and yes it is popular so you will find lots of info by searching the forums. Here are some of our favorite threads to get you started.
    San Fran to San Diego along the PCH and across to the Grand canyon before heading to Vegas and Yosemite via Death valley and back to SF would make a great loop if you wanted to end up back in SF. The one thing you will need to be aware of is that the passes across the Sierra's can close for the winter at anytime now and the Tioga pass [CA120] is a very popular choice. It's not a big problem as you can go around the Southern end of the Sierra's through Bakersfield [and through Sequoia NP possibly] to Yosemite valley if this is the case.

Have a look around the forums and let us know if you have any other questions as you build your trip.

4. Default

Thanks for the help so far, especially the bit about single supplements and the passes that close!

Have been having a look on some of the other threads and certainly thinking of looking into the loop idea! it will defo save some money when renting the car.

South of England.

Default Tioga pass

Yep, the loop can be beneficial both financially and with the routing, you get to see mountains and sea !
    You can get info on the Tioga pass conditions by using the links in the thread, you can even have a guess at the closing date and win some gas !

Enjoy the planning.

Default 17 mile drive

You should also think about doing the 17 mile drive! It is a toll road, so it will cost you $ 9.25, but if you decide to eat at any Pebble Beach Company Restaurant and spend more than $ 25, you will be reimbursed. I am not sure if you are into Golf, but if you are, check out the famous Pebble Beach Golf Course. Some people think it is a waste of money, as the scenery before and after the 17 Mile drive is just as beautiful, but I think it is stunning and and those $ 9.25 are in my eyes well spent. I think driving down the 17 mile drive is as "Californian" as it can get!

Enjoy your road trip!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-26-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: removed a non-resource link

Default Be mindful of the weather its all high country

My wife and I just completed a fly and drive trip starting Oct 2 until Oct. 12th. We flew to Las Vegas and rented a car to drive to the Grand Canyon and then on to New Mexico. After time in Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Los Alamos, and Taos we drove back to Las Vegas. On the way back to Vegas we stopped one night in Flagstaff.

We enjoyed the trip immensely. One thing that I should note is that northern Arizona is generally 6,000 to 7,000 ft. elevation. The south rim of the Grand Canyon is at 7,000 ft. Travelling at that elevation in November would necessitate a close eye on weather reports.

If you should decide to do that trip I would be happy to give you recommendations for hotels and restaurants that we liked.