1. Default Driving from MT to FL in November

I will be driving from Butte MT to Jacksonville FL the week before Thanksgiving, and my wife also will share the driving. We are driving a Honda Civic that is in pretty good condition(I will get it checked again the week before) . What is the best route, considering that it is winter time? Is it worth the trouble to drive through I-40(it is about 400 miles longer this way).
    Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Default a common one lately

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This has been a very popular question this week, so I'll just give you the short answer.

No, you can not assume that I-40 will see better weather. Every cross country route in the US can and does see snow and ice at some point during the year. In general, adding 400 miles to your trip just means you'll be on the road for an extra day, which means there is one more chance for you to see bad weather.

Plan to take a direct route, Check the forecast just before you leave, and if you've got a couple options of similar distance, take the one that looks like it will see the best conditions specific to the time you are on the road.

Recommended fastest route from Butte to Jacksonville:

I-90/I-29/I-70/I-64/I-57/I-24/I-75/I-10. Please note that I-64 is closed through downtown St. Louis and it's best taking an alternate route. If it's not rush hour, stay on I-70 into downtown and join I-64 at the bridge to Illinois. If it's rush hour, take I-270 around the north side of the city into Illinois, then I-255 to I-64. You are looking at a 2450 mile trip, which will take 5 days to do it safely.

Other cities where the use of bypasses are recommended are Kansas City and Atlanta.

4. Default

Is there any risk in driving on day before thanksgiving and thanksgiving given that all business is closed? Would roadside assistance by AAA be available on these days ? I would be driving with a 3 yr old too.
    Thanks again.

Default High season

Quote Originally Posted by phundoo View Post
    Is there any risk in driving on day before thanksgiving and thanksgiving given that all business is closed? Would roadside assistance by AAA be available on these days ? I would be driving with a 3 yr old too.
    Thanks again.
    At least on the East Coast, Thanksgiving week is in the middle of the high season for auto travel. I'd venture pretty much 100% of travel-related services will be available throughout your route.

Good luck,

Foy