1. Default trip to Alaska from Minnesota

Has anyone driven to Alaska from Minnesota or the midwest. I have a big problem with heights. Anytime I am on a road in the mountains where there are drop-offs even very small drop offs I freeze up and cannot go any further. Will I have a problem getting through the moutains in British Columbia? Is there any highway I should avoid? Thanks for you help.

Default I think no one knew how to start with this thread

Quote Originally Posted by cliff nebel View Post
    Has anyone driven to Alaska from Minnesota or the midwest. I have a big problem with heights. Anytime I am on a road in the mountains where there are drop-offs even very small drop offs I freeze up and cannot go any further. Will I have a problem getting through the moutains in British Columbia? Is there any highway I should avoid? Thanks for you help.
    It's physically impossible to drive from Minnesota to almost anywhere in Alaska without going over major passes. Seriously, the only way I can think of that will work, is for you to fly either to Anchorage or to British Columbia and take a boat to Alaska. You have to cross the continental divide and there's not place where the ascent is gradual enough that you won't feel the pressure of the tall mountains.

Why are you going to Alaska? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum, but I'm afraid we can't really help you much.

Mark

3. Default

Its not the "pressure of the mountains" that bothers me it is the drop offs into valleys that bothers me. If there is a 12% grade but no drop offs next to the side of the road no problem. Even if the drop offs are hidden by trees or is 15 feet from the side of the road no problem. The problem is when the drop off is close to the side
    of the highway. I don't know if your familar with the road to Jerome Arizona but I got within about a mile of Jerome and had to turn around becasue I couldn't go any further.

I have studied the maps and read many books including the milepost. I don't think I will have a problem until I get to Ft. Nelson. From Ft. Nelson to Watson Lake might be a problem. I can't tell. Also wonder about going futher North and taking highway 7 and then coming into Watson Lake on highway 4. Perhaps the moutains would be less of a problem that way. Any opinions?

I also am not very good with the computer. Took me a long time to find response to my question. Had no idea what a thread was. If you get this message and want to correspond with me. Thanks.

email address removed
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 11-12-2009 at 07:20 PM.

Having driven the stretch of the Alaska Highway to which you refer, three times now, I do not recall any section which would worry you a great deal. Just don't go on the Top of the World Hwy, which would make you freak out.

You have to remember that the Alaska Highway is really quite a busy highway, well constructed and with a wide verge almost everywhere.

I am not familiar with either of the other highways you mention.

Lifey who urges you to enjoy that trip