1. Default moving from orlando to seattle need advise on best/ most scenic route

Hi, I will be travelling from orlando, fl to seattle, wa in about 1 week. Need advise on the most scenic route i can take without adding a whole lot of time to the trip. I have made this drive before and went I guess what you would call the northern route (just followed my gps). This route took from seattle to soiux falls on I90 then down through kansas, st loius ect. In taking this route I really enjoyed my time on I90 with the scenic mountain terrain. But found the drive from soiux falls to the nashville area to be very boring. Not much to look at through that area. I would like to spend the time on I90 through montana idaho and wash again as that was my favorite part of the drive. But would like to avoid the area between nashville and sioux falls and add some more scenery to the drive. The more mountains the better I have 4 wheel drive and the last time I made this trip it was in december so I have alot of experience in snow driving. I will be making this trip with my girlfreind who was never seen any of the west or any large mountains for that matter I would love to be able to show her the beauty of the rest of the country. Thank you so much for the taking the time to read my post!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default beauty is everywhere, attitude is everything

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The reality is that no matter what way you cross the US, you're going to be dealing with a whole mix of terrains, from mountains to plains and everything in between.

I will also say that a road itself is never boring. The fact that you missed out on the many many things between Sioux Falls and Nashville says more about you than anything else. Between the Missouri and Mississippi River, Kansas City and St. Louis, and the many state and national parks along the way, like Land Between the Lakes, or Historic sites like the Truman Library, those are just a small sample of what you missed out on.

I bring this up only because you'll have the same problem again this trip, no matter what route you take.

Now having said that, there are lots of choices, you could go across the southern tier of the country, either I-10 or I-40, and go all the way to California and head north from there. You could go basically the same way to the middle part of the country again, but instead of going north to Sioux Falls, you could continue on I-70 out to Utah and make your way northwest from there. Obviously, going through Colorado is going to give you the highest mountain peaks to be dealing with, but again, you'll have mountains in all of the routes. You could also go north to Chicago, and then take I-94 through Minneapolis and North Dakota before rejoining I-90 in Montana.

Any of these ideas will make for a great trip, as long as you have the right attitude.

3. Default

Thank you Michael. I agree there is a lot to see in that area I guess I just prefer mountain terrain to the plains thats all. I am just wanting to plan a route that will give me the best tour of the mountains. I would like to have a stop in Colorado Springs as I have always wanted to see this area but have not had the chance. Only thing is that I think I would miss out on rushmoore if I took the southernly route then up through colorado. Yellowstone would be another area I would very much like to go through....

So say if I was to go up through the smokeys to around the nashville area and wanted to start cutting over to the west toward colorado around there is there a highway or a couple highways that provide some nice scenic terrain I should look into?

Thanks again...

Joplin MO

There would be 2 basic Interstate-related routes between Nashville and Colorado Springs - I-24/I-57/I-64/I-70/US-24 or I-40/I-25. On the latter, to avoid doubling back you can take secondary highways out of Amarillo. Either way, it's going to be hard to avoid plains and you need to research interesting things along these routes other than mountains.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default basic geography

As GLC mentioned, you're going to have to go across a lot of plains no matter what way you go. Its just how the continent is laid out. Between the Mississippi and the Rockies, there aren't a lot of choices for mountains. You could route yourself through the Ozarks which would give you a little variety, but that's still a pretty small part of the trip.

I'm also a bit puzzled on the rest of your comments. It sounded like you don't have a lot of extra time for this trip, and if that's the case, then yes, hitting both Colorado and Mount Rushmore would be difficult, because you'd have to go a long way out of your way to visit both. Even Yellowstone requires a fairly significant detour from Colorado. But on top of that, you're asking about a different route from what you did last time, but the route you took last time is exactly the route you'd take if you want to see Mount Rushmore and Yellowstone.