Default LA - Las Vegas - Santa Fe in January

Hi Everyone,

I just found this fantastic forum and am hoping someone will be able to give me some advice.

I'm coming over to the US for a holiday from Australia in Dec/Jan with my wife and 13 yo son. One part of our trip will be getting from LA via Las Vegas to Santa Fe in early January and we are not sure whether we should fly or drive or a combination of the two. We like the idea of a bit of a road trip and can add in some extra time if we decide to drive but are unsure if the roads are always passable at that time of the year. If anyone could give me some advice on the feasibility how much time to allow and any good places to visit along the way that would be great. Thanks.

Default yes

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This part of the country does see snow, and it is possible that you'd see a weather event that could delay you for a little while, however, in general the roads are open year round and this is certainly a trip you could do by car.

LA to Vegas is about a 5 hour drive. Vegas to Santa Fe can be done in a long day on the road (about 12 hours) if you see good conditions, however there is a lot to see on this leg. If you stretched it out to 2, 3, or even 4 days you could really explore several places, including the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, or even Monument Valley and several other attractions in the 4 corners region.

Default Enjoy the road.

We like the idea of a bit of a road trip and can add in some extra time
    Well you came to the right place ! Perhaps "Planes R us" or similar would say otherwise !
    Lol.

If you can make the time available it would be a shame not to drive and see more of the country. Stretching your time between LA and Vegas you could possibly visit Joshua tree NP, the Mojave National preserve or the amazing Death valley. Plus the options Michael mentioned between Vegas and Santa Fe and many more on route, it basically comes down to the time factor.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Well you came to the right place ! Perhaps "Planes R us" or similar would say otherwise !
    Lol.

If you can make the time available it would be a shame not to drive and see more of the country. Stretching your time between LA and Vegas you could possibly visit Joshua tree NP, the Mojave National preserve or the amazing Death valley. Plus the options Michael mentioned between Vegas and Santa Fe and many more on route, it basically comes down to the time factor.

Hi Dave, how long would it take to drive your suggestions and get to Vegas seeing all you have suggested ?

thanks