1. Default LA to Vegas Stop?

Hi,
    I will be coming off a very long flight landing in LA and heading to Vegas. I think the best thing would be to get out of LA if possible and stop. We will only be setting off around 8.30pm and so would like to find somewhere to stop within about an hour. Any suggestions? It would be great to stop somewhere on route so the next day we can just get straight into the drive.

Cheers,

BigT

Default Los Angeles!

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Seriously, an hour's drive from LAX won't even get you out of the L.A. basin. You are absolutely right to be concerned about suffering jet lag after a long flight and arriving that late in the day. Also, by the time you get your bags, clear customs(?), pick up your rental car and get off the airport grounds, it might even be considerably later than you're currently prepared for. About all I would plan to do in your case is get up onto I-10 around Pamona, Ontario or Rancho Cucamonga and just lay up for the night. After a good night's sleep you'd be in much better shape for the 5 hour or so drive to Las Vegas having already traversed the bulk of the Los Angeles metro area.

AZBuck

3. Default Thanks

Thanks AZBuck,

I wholeheartedly agree and have also thought about just crashing at the airport hotel but figure it would be better to just get out of the area. I will look for some suitable hotels in the areas you mention but any suggestions would be most welcome. This is a 17 hour flight so will be somewhat tired and do not want to drive too much!

Normally, I'd advise you to just crash near the airport, but due to LA's traffic situation, getting an hour or so under your belt late in the evening may be a good idea. Trying to get all the way from LAX to I-15 in rush hour can be very painful. There is a good selection of hotels around the Ontario airport, which is near the I-10/I-15 interchange.

Default a few thoughts in favor of the airport hotel option

Many airport hotels should have shuttle services to/from the airport, so you can wait until the next day to pick up your car. One person could go fetch the car while the rest finish packing.

As noted, LAX is on the wrong side of where you're going, so you'll be facing commute traffic the next morning (assuming you're not arriving on a Friday or Saturday night?); one thing that might help is to get to bed by 10pm (s/b doable with an 8:30 arrival), get up early (5am-ish), and try to get moving early enough to beat the worst of the morning rush.

I don't live in LA, so I can't say how early it gets ugly. This site has a real-time traffic map of the LA region if you want to check it out periodically to get a sense of what things might look like.

Immediately starting to drive, jet-lagged, in a strange car, after dark, in a strange area (where they drive on the wrong side of the road?) entails some risks.

Those risks are mitigated by the relative lack of traffic that hour of the night.

7. Default thanks again

Hi All,

I do have experience driving on 'your' side of the road and was recently in LA so not worried about that. I think if we landed earlier on the day i would certainly have done more if not all the trip. I think the best option is to head out of LA and then take a break as suggested. Thanks again for all the useful help.

BigT

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Hi All,

....... I think the best option is to head out of LA and then take a break as suggested. Thanks again for all the useful help.

BigT
    Maybe it would pay you to check out this thread, before you make a final decision.

Lifey

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    Maybe it would pay you to check out this thread, before you make a final decision.

Lifey
    Hi Lifey.

certainly is important and I for one would not drive drowsy or too tired. If I get off the plane and feel tired we will simply check into an airport hotel and rest then get an early start. It all depends on how we sleep opn the flight but if we are okay then I would certainly like to try get out of LA before the checking into a hotel.

Thanks for the thread.

BigT