1. Default Chicago to Phoenix

Hey everyone, new here. Was farting around checking out what interesting stuff I could find on my route out to Phoenix. Ive never driven west of Saint Louis so im really looking forward to this trip. Google tells me that taking I-40 to I-17 is the fastest way to get there. But I was thinking of taking I-25 to I-10 and going down and around. I am ok with the down slope in Tn. But 13 Miles of 6% grade kinda freaks me out. Was wondering what everyone thought about it and what way offers the most to see. I doubt I will ever have the chance of being out there again. Im planning on leaving Chicago this up coming Saturday.

Thanks ahead of time,
    Dobbs

Default many more questions

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Certainly, any way you go will have lots of options. If you take the fastest route (I-55/I-44/I-40) you'll be following route 66 all the way to Flagstaff, then you'll be in the very scenic Sedona area as you travel down to Phoenix. (you could also cut this off too, and take some other very scenic routes from I-40 down to Phx)

If you instead go south in New Mexico, you'd be within a short detour of White Sands, plus be traveling through the many interesting attractions of Southern Arizona.

You could also build a route going through Colorado and/or Utah before heading south.

The best choice for you depends on a whole bunch of things though. How long do you have for this trip? Why are you going to Phoenix? Is this a one way trip? What sorts of things are you interested in?
    I am ok with the down slope in Tn. But 13 Miles of 6% grade kinda freaks me out. Was wondering what everyone thought about it
    Sorry, I'm really not sure what you're talking about with this question.

A very scenic "shortcut" from I-40 to Phoenix is as follows:

Get off I-40 at exit 286 and take AZ-77 south through Holbrook. Turn right on AZ-377 and take that to AZ-277. Turn right, take it to AZ-260 and turn right. Take that to Payson and turn left on AZ-87. That will take you right into Phoenix. A trucker told me about that, and it's actually faster than going all the way to I-17 and down.

4. Default

Thanks Michael,

I have 4 to 6 days ish to get to Phoenix.

Im bringing a Van out there for my Aunt so its a one way trip.

Gunna fly back into Midway (sucks)

Im interested in anything I can see out there and not find in IL. I figure this is a once in a lifetime trip for me. So I wanna try and soak in as much as I can. But also keep my time within reason.

And also Thanks GLC. Im gunna map that out now and see how well thatll work.

Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The best choice for you depends on a whole bunch of things though. How long do you have for this trip? Why are you going to Phoenix? Is this a one way trip? What sorts of things are you interested in?

Sorry, I'm really not sure what you're talking about with this question.

Chicago to Phoenix is 1800 miles, which would be 3 full 12 hour days of driving with no sightseeing delays - so you definitely have some time to play with. If nothing else, I'd recommend you spend a day at the Grand Canyon.