Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    St. Petersburg Florida and Dedham, Essex, England

Default Las Vegas Drive-Around -- November

New member, and not sure it this should be a separate thread - but so much work was put into Janet's trip it seems best to keep it linked.
    Whilst British, we are lucky enough to be in St. Petersburg now will not return to the UK till early December. As we are now both recently retired, we want to start seeing a lot more of the US and thought we would start with Las Vegas and a drive around for 10 - 14 days. I found your excellant site, and after working my way (briefly) through Janet's plan and all that was put into it, thought we could capitalize on what had been posted by flying into SF from Tampa on about the 1st. November and then returning from Las Vegas on about the 14th. instead of a return LV trip. (We are due in Pensacola for Thanksgiving, so I thought about drifting the dates back - but it looks an awfull long drive from LV with not much to see - true??)
    Anyway, my immediate questions are:
    1) To you well informed locals, will the time of year - the first two week of November - mean any driving problems over the passes and / or will some places be closed?
    2) Which would be the bits to cut out or speed up to try and keep it to two week? We enjoy History, especially with narrated tours, along with scenic views!
    3) Janet, when are you likely to post your first thoughts on your trip?

Any advice, as always, will be much apprectiated,
    Thanks in advance,
    Richard.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-13-2009 at 09:52 AM. Reason: Created new thread and linked to the post Richard is referring to

Do not plan on being able to cross the Sierras anywhere between CA-88 and CA-58. One or more of the passes between those 2 may still be open, but none of them are actively maintained all winter. You can easily check on current conditions at the Caltrans website.

Default Thought this might be an issue

Thanks glc, will check on the map what this means, but hard to imagine as we drip in the 90's as it is here in St. Pete's right now - what an amazing country! I currently have a Jeep Liberty on rental - pressumably this would be ideal for what we are planning up there?
    Any other responses so welcome.
    Richard.

Default not really

Unless you've got a space issue or really like spending money to get an SUV, you won't get any advantage of with the liberty. In these cases, the roads are either open or closed, and 4 wheel drive won't really be an issue. There's also the simple fact that you aren't allowed to take a rental SUV any place that you couldn't drive a regular car.

Default Jeep Libertys are pretty small

I've driven the Liberty a couple of times -- nimble, quick and fun, but they're pretty small for an extended road trip. Given the weather issues -- I'd suggest either a larger SUV or a front-wheel drive sedan.

Mark

Default Vehicle choice and revised route

Michael, Mark, thank you both for the input on the vehicle type.
    I have ordered some more detailed maps and gazeter's and will work through these along with some of the excellent info on your site and then put together an itinery that suits our time frame.
    I would much appreciate your input when I have done this, so should I post it as a new thread - or carry on with this one?
    Await your advise, but meanwhile -
    Thanks and regards,
    Richard.

(Richard: We've moved your comments/planning into their own dedicated thread -- so this where you ought to return)
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-13-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: navigation

Default Where best to cross the mountain Range

Mark, thanks for moving it, I agree that it looks as though it is going to grow!
    I have been trawling around many of the posts - and cutting and pasting some excellent bits of detail as I went - but I would be most grateful for a brief steer on a couple of points as I had not realized what an effect the time of year would have - apologies for my naivity!
    The drive down to Monterry / Carmel seems to be well rated. but what I need help on is where to go from there so as to leave myself in a position to cross the Mountain range (I am sorry, is this the Cascade range or the Sierra Nevada's - my map doesn't say - and my ignorance too great!). Obviously the norm is to go to Yosemite and then use Tioga - but this will almost certainly be closed and I cannot see there is another pass southward until Walker on 198 - which from what I could see on Caltrans is not listed as ever closing. But if I have to do that, is it worth going up to Yosemite at all at that time of year? Or should I focus on something else between leaving the Pacific and getting to Death Valley - which I assume will not have a winter problem. So... to recap:
    1) Do I just make for DV as quickly as possible after leaving Monterry - or try and take in somewhere else
    2) Based on the above, which pass would you then recomend I use.
    Thanks, and best regards,
    Richard.

Default Random thoughts on "history"

Unless you're looking at Native American history, the Europeans didn't arrive in California until the late 1700s (Spanish soldiers and missionaries colonized Alta California in the 1770s, explored it somewhat earlier).

You can absorb some of that aspect of our history in any one (or more) of the missions, set up approximately a day's journey apart starting in San Diego along (approximately) US101 north to San Rafael (San Rafael Arcangel) or Sonoma (San Francisco Solano). Most famous/interesting of these would be San Diego (de Acala), San Francisco (de Asis), San Juan Capistrano, San Juan Baptista, Santa Barbara (known as the "Queen" of the missions), and San Carlos Borromeo de Carmelo (Carmel). All of them are insteresting in one way or another. In all there are 21 in various states of repair. Those I've listed are all alive and well, and still celebrating Catholic masses (although tourists are very welcome).

Next up: the gold rush. Most of THAT bit of history got burnt out of San Francisco in 1906, but you can see of lot of that history in: Old Town Sacramento, the preserved Gold Rush town of Columbia (now a state park) and many many towns along CA49, which follows the mother lode.

Carson City in Nevada (state capital) and nearby Virginia City are both worth a look; here the history centers mostly around the Comstock Lode silver rush of the late 1800s.

My home town (San Fran, not Concord) has it's own interesting history, including some unsavory bits when it was known as the Barbary Coast. If you spend any time here you might do some searching on the web for guided walking tours... there's a bunch of them, and this is a good town for walking.

Lastly, and just for fun: this guy is the quintessential San Francisco character, demonstrates the slightly askew view of the world that folk in The City have, and as this is the 150th anniversary of his ascension to the throne... I give you Norton the First; Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico.

This line from that site chokes me up every time I read it:

January 10, 1880 – Norton I was buried today at Masonic Cemetery. The funeral cortege was two miles long. 10,000 people turned out for the funeral.

Looking at the census numbers at the time: one out of 20 people in San Francisco at the time evidently took the time to attend the funeral of an insane, destitute itinerant (albeit a bit of a visionary).

Default Actually, my favorite route is not Tioga....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Clayton View Post
    The drive down to Monterey / Carmel seems to be well rated. but what I need help on is where to go from there so as to leave myself in a position to cross the Mountain range (I am sorry, is this the Cascade range or the Sierra Nevada's - my map doesn't say - and my ignorance too great!).
    If your on the coast, you have to cross several ranges -- but the most significant one is the Sierra Nevada.
    Obviously the norm is to go to Yosemite and then use Tioga
    It's a popular route, but it's by no means the most amazing road across the Sierras (in fact, it's one of the tamer roads) -- but my favorite route -- over Ebbets Pass or Sonora Pass will be closed too. Actually, we've already had our first significant snow fall of the Fall season and Tioga Pass was closed for a few hours...
    I cannot see there is another pass southward until Walker on 198 - which from what I could see on Caltrans is not listed as ever closing.
    There is another southern crossing, but it will closed too -- Do you mean CA-178 to Lake Isabella? I don't know of any CA-198 in the area. If the snow is thick enough and icy enough, both CA-178 and CA-58 will close for a few hours.
    But if I have to do that, is it worth going up to Yosemite at all at that time of year? Or should I focus on something else between leaving the Pacific and getting to Death Valley - which I assume will not have a winter problem. So... to recap:
    Yosemite NP is a MUST-SEE year round, and if you do try for Yosemite, you'd want to use either US-50 or I-80.

If you save Yosemite for another day -- the best part of the coast is south of Carmel and so you'd stay on the coast to San Luis Obispo and then head ENE to CA-58 and then on to Death Valley.

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 10-13-2009 at 04:00 PM.

Default San Francisco old time recomendations

Thanks CalOldBlue - a fascinating link - shame he didn't have any heirs or we could have had a run off between him and our upcoming Monach, it would probably have been a close run thing!!!
    We love walking tours, any you've heard of as particularly good?
    We are thinking of three nights in SF, giving us one clear day for Alcatraz and one for trying to take in the 'old part' - though as a retired Insurer I am well aware of 1906 - p.s. best museum for that?? - or should we allow another day for the 'must see's'?
    Trading on you good will and knowledge, any recomendations on the area to stay in - again 'original' much preferred' - or even hotels, especially 'old or with character' - we are lucky and cost is not too much of an issue (within reason!!). Also, Carolyn would love to know about the likely weather for the first week of November, thinking we would be (mainly) in the LV area -which we assumed to be always at least warm - she has bought no 'Winter cloths' - I hope you appreciate my dilema - do I sanction a new wardrobe, or opt for a wife who is cold!!! I am sure you can sense the need for an informed opinion!!
    Best regards,
    Richard.
    Last edited by Richard_Clayton; 10-13-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Title ommitted