1. Default LA to NY in 3 weeks

Hi All,

I am from the UK and travelling through SE Asia and Australia before setting foot in LA in March 2010 (!!) where I meet my boyfriend to embark on our Road Trip across the US to New York. I really wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions of routes. We have an idea of what we would like to visit but actually gathering an idea of routes is another thing!

We are defiantly going to stop off in Las Vegas, visit and camp at the Canyon, I would like to go to Utah, possibly Badlands National Park then Chicago, Niagara Falls, and then on to New York. In the main stretch in the middle we are open to advice as we want to go everywhere and see everything, but sadly in 3 weeks this is slightly impossible!

If anyone is able to offer any realistic suggestions or maps/books that are worth looking at I would be eternally grateful!!

Thank you for your time :o)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default ideas

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are a couple things I would really tell you about your roadtrip.

3 weeks is a very nice amount of time to see things while making a one way trip across the country. You've got time for a lot of stops, and you can go virtually anyway in the US. No, you won't be able to see everything, but that would still be true if you had 3 months or even 3 years.

We really don't believe in one sized fits all routes or stops. The great thing about a roadtrip is that you can build it to fit your individual goals and interests. There are thousands of possiblities across this vast country, and trying to narrow them down for someone else into a nice neat list without knowing anything about you just isn't possible. All of the places that you've listed are good ideas and a good starting point. I would recommend that you get a good map and see what else is between those points that might be of interest to you, and I would look around this site some more - both the forum and the planning section - and see if you can get more ideas from other peoples trips and plans.