1. Default New Jersey to New York

I live in Nj and I would like to take a trip to Los Angeles California.Around the area of the Los Ageles Superior Court. I have been informed that I could take route 80 West from New Jersey strait into the California area with no detours. I would like to know if, this is true and how long will it take to drive?
    I have tried to use map quest but it's giving so many detours and 80 west is no where in sight. My husband and I will be leaving a day after Christmas.

Last edited by AZBuck; 10-10-2009 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Moved to its own thread

Tucson, AZ

Default True And False

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Yes, it is true that I-80 goes through both New Jersey and California so that you could get on I-80 west of NYC and follow it all the way west, but you'd end up in San Francisco. If you want to go to Los Angeles instead, then a much better route would be to first head to Philadelphia and then follow I-76/I-70 to St. Louis and then I-44/I-40/I-15 to Los Angeles. I strongly suspect that if you just give MapQuest your home town as a starting point and Los Angeles as a destination, this is the route that it will suggest.

Joplin MO

If I-80 is convenient to you for leaving NJ, take that to Youngstown OH, then I-76 to I-71 to Columbus - then pick up I-70 and follow the rest of Buck's route. This will also save you considerable tolls. This is 2800 miles, and is 5 full 10 to 12 hour days on the road, allow 6 days just in case.