1. Default SoCal over Christmas in a Westfalia: where is too cold?

Hi all,

We are renting a Westfalia in LA, starting December 14. Our plan is to go down Highway 1 to San Diego but besides beach side towns we are interested in the desert and National/State parks like Anza Borrego, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, Palm Springs.

The problem is that I'm having a hard time deciding about an itinerary because I don't know exactly above what elevation we shouldn't go, weather wise.

We are escaping our hometown snow/icy roads/bad weather this year and we wouldn't like to freeze overnight in our little Westfalia.

Could you point out places that are likely to drop around freezing point overnight and places where it could snow in the places mentioned before?

I'm looking at National Forest/BLM web sites to find either free or inexpensive campgrounds but it's a gigantic task to try to go through all the information that is available over the net...

Of course I presume that a campground situated at 7000 feet can get snow over Christmas but is there a general rule of thumb to help me plan our route?

Thanks many times,
    Pascale

Quote Originally Posted by Bobetpine View Post
    Hi all,

We are renting a Westfalia in LA, ...............
    Pascale
    My question of you is, where and from whom are you renting the Westfalia? There have been many enquiries regarding renting this type of vehicle, but to date no-one has come up with an answer. I am interested to know as well.

Lifey

Default Some inferences as to elevation

Hello Pascale,

The wall of mountains along the north side of the LA Basin is the San Gabriel Mountains. I believe Mount Baldy and Mount Wilson are among the higher peaks in the San Gabriels. More to the point are the lift-served snow skiing areas in the San Gabriels. There are several. Some simple searching should bring you to websites for the individual ski areas, and there you should find elevation information. The base elevations might then be considered to be at the higher range of places you'd probably be comfortable overnighting in the VW.

One other anecdotal piece of information is this: My son spent the winter of 07-08 at Port Hueneme, beside Oxnard, right on the Pacific. The mountains within view of his Navy base were between 3,000 and 4,000' in elevation, and he only rarely saw snow on them throughout a fairly wet winter.

That said, the other areas you listed are, I believe, entirely low-elevation locales. Generally speaking, National Forest campgrounds are located along canyon bottoms generally at the lower elevations within the particular NF units.

Have fun planning and taking your RoadTrip!

Foy

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Lifemagician View Post
    My question of you is, where and from whom are you renting the Westfalia? There have been many enquiries regarding renting this type of vehicle, but to date no-one has come up with an answer. I am interested to know as well.

Lifey
    Hi,

Go to http://www.vwsurfari.com/
    I talked to the owner and he's very nice. They are in Irvine, south of LA.

Pascale