Default Is this a crazy idea? VA to Ca in February

Hi there,

We are moving to CA from VA in Mid February and I would like to drive and see the sights. We have family in Pittsburgh, Chicago, and CO that we would like to visit. I would also like to see the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone and Vegas.

Anyone with any ideas? Is this a bad idea? Did I mention that I will be in an older minivan with my husband, 10 and 7 yr olds and 2 dogs.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default things to note

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Thousands of people travel across this country every day, including in winter, so theres no reason you can't make the drive. However, because of the time of year there are some things you will have to take into account.

You should plan for delays. You didn't say how much time you have here, but the trip you've laid out will take about a week if you hit completely clear weather. You should plan to have a couple extra days available just in case you hit bad weather that forces you to slow down or even stop for a day.

I would also leave Yellowstone out of your plans for now. Much of the park is inaccessable in February (except by snowmobile), and it is a long way out of the way from the other things you've listed as priority stops.

Obviously, with any car this is true, but since your car is older its that much more important to make sure your car gets a good inspection by a mechanic to look for any potential issues that could arise while on the road. And make sure you've got a good set of all-season tires with good tread to help you deal with winter conditions if they do arise.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-09-2009 at 06:48 AM.

Thanks for the advice.
    i was thinking of taking 1-2 weeks and you are right about Yellowstone. the only way in in the winter is through Montana- way out of the way.

How about good things to see/do between Chicago and Fairplay, CO?

Melbourne, Australia

Default Carhenge

Quote Originally Posted by surfsammy View Post

How about good things to see/do between Chicago and Fairplay, CO?
    Carhenge just north of Alliance NE... One of those quirky touristy things you can see and photograph without even having to go through a gate. Just walk up/in any time of the day, any day of the year.

Lifey who loved it