Default Challenge: How many states can you visit in 1 day

Hello road trip masters!
    I'm going to spend my birthday on Sun Nov. 1st trying to see how many states I can visit in 1 day. Thought the group here would like to participate in the challenge of routing it. My current plan is to start in Vermont and finish in Alabama. The best I've run across is someone who managed 21 States in a day. Surely, the experts here have a better idea. Looking forward to your suggestions!

Gary

Default No Takers

By the most efficient possible route, it's at least a thousand miles from Vermont to Alabama, and that would take you through only 10 states. Hopefully, you will find no one here who will help you plan such a dangerous (to you and everyone else on the road) trip.

AZBuck

Default Fifty

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    ...see how many states I can visit in 1 day.
    It doesn't sound like you're going to actually visit much of anything at all on this trip. This type of challenge offers little more than short-lived bragging rights, to whom I'm not certain.

You have just had 2 moderators tell you that you are crazy. I have to agree. However, if you MUST do this, bring 2 crazy friends with you and do a speed run. All of you get extra sleep before going, and plan on sleeping the whole next day.

Default I understand your concerns

Fellow forum members,
    I understand your concerns, but please know that I have the experience and proper concern for safety to tackle this task. As Mark mentions in Speed runs, preparation is a key element. I have been preparing for this event for 5 years. I've honed out the routing not only by mapping tools but also by actually driving many of the roads numerous times.
    I've personally done 50 states in 8 days with my son in 2003 as a fundraiser and just last month drove 10,000 miles on numerous trips from TN to RI and TN to MO. This trip will also be used as a fundraiser for a number of various charities that I endorse. http://www.yourcause.com/FastFrugal50
    My current order for the trip is VT,NH,ME,MA,RI,CT,NY,NJ,PA,DE,MD,VA,WV,KY,OH,IN,IL ,MO,AR,TN,MS,AL The date is also a key element beyond being my birthday. There will be a number of friends and well wishers greeting my vehicle as it passes close to their hometowns. In addition to the great advice found here on this site, I'm always open to positive tips from others , which is why I posted this thread to begin with. Thank you for your suggestions.

Gary

Default If you survive!

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    ...................... and plan on sleeping the whole next day.
    If you all and the vehicle are still all in one piece.

I am glad I will not be on the road that day. It is this type of thinking and driving which cost almost 50000 US citizens their lives every year. (That is almost 1000 a week or 140 each day.) Best you check this before you start.

Put safety first or you may not see another birthday.

Lifey

Default 22 State trip to benefit 5 causes on Nov. 1st

http://www.yourcause.com/FastFrugal50 Vermont to Alabama, time travel involved! Hint Turn your clocks back at 2am, cross a time zone from east to west and stay away from rock slides! I hope to use a SPOT tracker so people can follow along. Oh yea., Gonna throw in the District of Columbia for good measure.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 10-25-2009 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Please don't create multiple threads about the same trip - this is pretty close to breaking our no advertisng rules