Default Los Angeles to Orlando, summer 2010

I'm new here and it's great to see so many people as excited as I am about planning their next road trip!! We have done several 3000 mile road trips, but this one is 6000, so I want to be more prepared!! We've seen 14 states and are planning to add 12 next summer. (And to reach our goal of all 50 in 2012). We're traveling from L.A. to Orlando and back next July. We're taking the 10 on the way there and the 40 on the way back. I would love to get some ideas on what to visit along these routes. We want to see something special in every state, but stay close to our main highways, the 10 and the 40. We've already covered AZ. We'll go to Carlsbad, NM, San Antonio, TX, and New Orleans, LA.....but what do we see in Mississippi and Alabama? (along the coast, or route 10). We're doing Disneyworld in FL (advice on that would be great). Also, Savannah, GA, and Hilton Head, SC. What's to see around Asheville, NC? Then, it's the 40 home. First TN, and we need advice for Arkansas and Oklahoma (staying relativley close to route 40). We have 4 kids ages 9-16 and we love anything from hikes to just looking....and we love good places to stop and eat!
    And, I need to ease my concerns about the the South.....are we crazy to travel at that time? Thanks so much in advance. This site encourages me to keep on planning!!

Joplin MO

You aren't crazy to do the South in July, but if you aren't accustomed to high humidity it could be quite uncomfortable. Make sure the A/C works properly in your vehicle and dress accordingly. It's not like desert heat that instantly dehydrates you - but you still need to drink plenty of water.

Personally, I'd wait to do the South until you can get away in a different part of the year, and orient a summer trip toward the northern states.

Tucson, AZ

Default Across the South

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

The first thing to realize about any long RoadTrip is that, especially with children, frequent short stops are often better than spending long hours in the car between major stops. That said, there is no shortage of major venues along your proposed routes. On I-10 consider White Sands, the Alamo, New Orleans, and any number of wildlife refuges and beaches on the Gulf coast. (You're only in Mississippi and Alabama for about 100 miles total.) On or near I-40, there's the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Mud Island in Memphis, Hot Springs National Park and Crater of Diamonds State Park in Arkansas, the Oklahoma City Memorial and numerous Indian museums and cultural centers in Oklahoma, Cadillac Ranch, Taos Pueblo (a bit out of the way, but worth it) and Petroglyph National Monument. As far as weather goes, it will be what it should be in the South in July, hot and muggy. But part of traveling is experiencing different climates and how people adapt to them. Besides, with air conditioning, you should be fine.