Default Fall 2010 Roadtrip - Lincoln Highway/Route 66

Hi, all. First post (though I've lurked a while and this is really a nice, friendly forum). I'm planning my first major road trip and have had little luck in finding some basic things that would help. The driving trip will be 4-5 weeks next fall from San Francisco to Ohio via the old Lincoln Highway and return via Route 66. I have info/booklets on those routes. But I would appreciate any guidance/help with a few things:

1. Is there any mapping software/website that will let me draw my route by freehand? Both the Lincoln Highway and Route 66 are really "bygone era" roads, so trying to map something has been an exercise in entering multiple locations (on Google Maps, in Microsoft's Streets & Trips, etc.). It would be much, much easier for me to be able to draw my route on a map and then add stops, etc. I'd prefer a software program, since internet service may not always be available.

2. What's the best way to plan my driving days (mileage, making up miles, getting ahead of myself, etc.)? I plan on stops, maybe spending a few days here and there, and enjoying the country. But I don't want to get caught short and have to drive 1,000 miles in two days. :)

Ideally about two weeks from here to Ohio, a week in Ohio, and two weeks to get back to San Francisco. Maybe some of the road warriors here have tips on how to best make use of the time on the road over a month of driving?

Many thanks in advance.

Brent
    Last edited by Hoos; 10-06-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Paragraphs (I hope)

Default old fashioned

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Honestly, I think your easiest answer would be to step back from technology! (and kind of appropriate since you want to travel on these roads from a by-gone era)

I really do think the easiest way to draw a map of your route is to go get a good atlas and physically hand draw your route. I would bet it ends up being much less time consuming than trying to plot dozens of little points into any computer program - plus a paper map will never crash, get a virus, or need internet access!

In terms of breaking up your driving, that really just depends upon your own personal style. You've certainly got enough time, but I would probably sketch out a rough itinerary so you have a ballpark idea of where you want to be. You don't have to follow that plan to the letter by any means (and if things go exactly as planned, you might be doing something wrong!) but that would at least give you some guide-posts so you don't get too far afield.

Alternatively, if you do find you need to cover 1000 miles in a day, you can always jump back over to the interstates and quickly burn through some miles, or you could even change your destination, and just turn back before you get to the destination that you were originially thinking.

Thank you, Midwest Michael.

Using paper maps had been rolling around in the back of my mind and it may be the easiest way. The nice thing about software (like MS Streets and Trips) is the ability to get road info on the go and to figure out alternate routes if needed (especially for the Lincoln Highway portion). But then radios provide the same info.

AAA's online Trip-Tik mapping seems to be slightly better for altering the route - it still adds adjustments as stops, but doesn't make them permanent.

If there's nothing better out there in terms of software, I'll probably do a combination of both.

In terms of travel time, I'm probably overthinking things a bit. A rough itinerary is in place, but loose. I'm really wanting this to not be an "if this is Thursday, it must be Belgium" type of trip.

If you already have a laptop and a copy of Streets and Trips, get a GPS module for it and bring it with you. This would help you make adjustments on the fly. That's how I travel. I like it better than a "regular" GPS because I don't need turn by turn directions, I just want to see where I'm at and what all the options are.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default One Great Trip

That's seeing two of the primo old roads on a first trip. Congratulations.

US-66 and the Lincoln Highway can be driven in Illinois essentially without a map, the signage is that good.

If you're going to Ohio, you might want to take the National Road back part of the way. The stretch between Cambridge and Zanesville is a real trip back in time.

Default Go by "feel"

Quote Originally Posted by Hoos View Post
    What's the best way to plan my driving days (mileage, making up miles, getting ahead of myself, etc.)? I plan on stops, maybe spending a few days here and there, and enjoying the country. But I don't want to get caught short and have to drive 1,000 miles in two days.
    You have plenty of time to take this leisurely, so there shouldn't be any point where you are caught short. After a few days on the road, you're going to get a feel for what you want to do and for how many hours you think you can comfortably do on a particular day. Even 1000 miles in two days isn't all that bad when you're mind is in the right place.