1. Default Advice for summer roadtrip?

My best friend and I are planning a roadtrip to start over the summer. We want to spend a month or two traveling. We each saved a thousand dollars and are planning to split all the costs completely. I suppose I'm just wondering if I could get some general advice on great places to stop and see. I think we're going to stick to the northern states and then shoot for California and then take a route through the south toward home. Any advice for two greenhorns looking for an adventure?

Tucson, AZ

Default Often Asked; Seldom Answered

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

We occasionally get questions very similar to yours. "I have a month (or so) and want to see most of the U.S., where should I go? What should I see?" Such a question is simply too broad to answer. The best advice that can be offered at this point inn your general planning are the standard: Make sure that you and your friend are on the same page as to what your RoadTrip will be about, and then get a good atlas of the U.S. and start marking the places that appeal to you. You then build your RoadTrip around those. When you have a basic outline that suits your needs, then we can offer advice on other sites that might fit the bill, but we can't start the process from scratch.

I would say that $2,000 for 2 people for a month is very much on the low side and would make for a severely restricted trip. That's only about $30-35/day for each of you - hardly enough to cover gas and food, let alone lodging and admission to attractions.