Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Boston to Grand Canyon in February

2 of us are driving cross country in Feb from Boston to San Diego. We had planned a northern route along I70 that would end on the Northern Rim of the Grand Canyon. From there we planned a Yosemite stop before San Diego. Considering the probability of bad weather, is this feasible? We drive a Toyota Avalon. This is a leisurely, fun trip.

Default No and Yes

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Both the North Rim of the Grand Canyon and CA-120 over Tioga Pass and into Yosemite from the east will be closed in February. However the South Rim and the west entrance to Yosemite will be open. So if you have the time to adjust your trip accordingly, you can see the Grand Canyon by a two day trip from Las Vegas and get to Yosemite by going around the Sierra Nevadas to the south, through Bakersfield.

AZBuck

3. Default

I would strongly recommend taking US-89 south of I-70 (exit 48), stopping along Bryce Canyon or Zion along the way. Then after getting to Page,AZ, take US-89 south through the Echo Desert and Painted Cliffs. I'm telling you, it's some of the most gorgeous scenery I've ever seen in my life!

4. Default Thank you

I replied earlier with a thank you but don't see it in the thread. So, I'll give it another go. Thank you both. You gave us verification that I70 is too iffy in February. I think we will head south to I40 from Kansas City and take in sites along that route. Our San Diego dates are firm and our return includes a stay in Santa Fe. We were trying to avoid repeating ourselves coming and going. But I'm sure there will be ample vistas for both. Thanks again.

I-70 is not that iffy - as long as you just plan on taking it to I-15 and down to Vegas. In fact, the other roads through Utah may be just fine - they were for me at the end of this last February. I was able to go to Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches, Canyonlands, and Monument Valley with no issues.

Default also iffy

In addition to what GLC said about I-70 is not a route you should necessarily avoid, it is also misguided to assume that I-40 would be a better route for winter travel. I-40 can and does see many winter storms, both snow, and perhaps more frequently through the southern plains, ice.

There's just no way of knowing which road will be more "iffy" several months from now. Its a choice that you're better off making either shortly before you depart, or when you get to say St. Louis, and are at the perfect split point to continue taking I-70 or to head south on I-44 to I-40.

Just an aside - I drive from SW MO to San Diego and back every winter - this year I'm planning on taking I-70 and I-15. Last year, I took I-44 to I-40, and got caught in a miserable ice storm through OK. You just don't know. I *SHOULD* have heeded the warnings and delayed my trip a couple of days, and everything would have been fine.

8. Default Thank you

Thanks to everyone. I grew up in Arkansas and forgot about the dreaded black ice. It is worse than snow. We probably will go I 70. Or at least be flexible enough when we around St. Louis to delay or detour. I was thinking we needed to plan enough to get hotels in advance. But that time of year it is probably not crucial to advanced bookings. At any rate, we are going to find a way to Bryce and Zion. They sound heavenly. And my camera is burning to go.

I highly doubt that you would need to book hotels in advance anywhere that time of year - unless you were going to a ski resort. I didn't have any problems walking in everywhere this last February, and the rates were even decent.

10. Default

Zion is heavenly and you'll fully understand that once you are under the stars looking up at the pitch black sky with all the sparkles in it. You may want to look into booking some hotels, only because you might be able to get a better price for a nicer hotel. Like my old junior high school teacher use to say "to fail to plan is a plan to fail."