Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Driving to Alaska from Minnesota .. Yikes!

Well, we waited a little too long. I hear October can be pretty wintery in the mountains especially. We are thinking the best route is through Billings, Montana and then N. We have a 4-wheel drive pickup but one stretch has me worried. My concern is the 968.7 mile stretch from Provincial Route 2N to W/Provincial Route 1 (through the mountains). I can't figure out if there are any gas stations etc. anywhere.Has anyone out there ever done this drive? Any recommendations would really be appreciated!

Default good and bad

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I have not driven the Alaska highway myself, but you should take comfort in knowing that this is a well worn path that does see a lot of traffic and has plenty of services along the way.

The downside is you are certainly traveling at the end of the year, and weather will be a concern, and many places that operate seasonally will be closed.

Really the single best resource for any trip to Alaska is The Milepost - an annual guide that is an absolute must read for any first time trip on the Alcan.

3. Default

Thanks for the encouragement! We have heard that there is a 1,000 mile stretch with no gas stations or places to stay. Where would you recommend I go tofind out this information? Thanks.

Where would you recommend I go tofind out this information?
    Buy a copy of the Milepost as has been suggested. It's only about 20 bucks and is available from amazon.com.

They keep the Alcan open all winter, it's a major truck route and they have to have services too. I would be surprised if you have to travel more than 100 miles between services. Here is an excerpt from the Milepost with a quick reference log.

To get to the start of the Alcan in Dawson Creek, I'd recommend you go to Winnipeg, then through Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and Grande Prairie.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    Buy a copy of the Milepost as has been suggested. It's only about 20 bucks and is available from amazon.com.
    Having driven to Alaska twice, albeit not in October, I can only endorse what has already been said.... the Milepost is a must! It is available in many bookstores which have a good travel section, or direct from the publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    To get to the start of the Alcan in Dawson Creek, I'd recommend you go to Winnipeg, then through Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and Grande Prairie.
    I would endorse that for a winter trip, that is probably the best route. Be assured that the road is a very good road and services are available all along the road. The campgrounds mostly close for winter. There is fuel available in all major towns - Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Watson Creek, Whitehorse, Haines Junction and Tok. All of these places are less than a full fuiel tank apart. And there is accommodation at each of them. They are typically a day's driving. I doubt that there will be anywhere on that route where you will require a four wheel drive. If you'd like to check more details on my trip up the Alaska Highway just go to post 26 and onwards, here.

Lifey who hopes you take time to really enjoy this experience

6. Default Thanks!

I appreciate the information. I went to Post 26 and thoroughly enjoyed your commentary and pictures of your journey. Thank you for that. It makes me excited to be on the road!

When you said there are accomodations at each of the listed towns, did you mean for RVers or motel/hotel etc? I have a 29' class C motorhome that I would love to bring but am afraid of the potential icy conditions I have heard about .. even in October. If I don't drive that we would be in a 4-wheel drive pickup. Appreciate your opinion on this.

Oneway

I do not have any experience with motor homes nor with travelling in October. My trips have been in June and August. However, I stopped in RV parks in the towns mentioned, and there are at least two in most towns, as well as hotels and motels. I am also aware that the 'season' officially ends round the end of August, and much closes then. Somehow it seemed that the RV parks in the towns mentioned, (i.e. Dawson Creek, Fort Nelson, Watson Lake, Beaver Creek and Tok) appeared to be the type that are probably open all year round. But I would make some phone calls first.

I would not recommend the RV park at the west end of Fort Nelson. There is one as you come into town - at the east end - and it is part of a larger complex of hotel and motel, store and fuel stop. Most others I stayed at were pretty comfortable.

But you need to get your Milepost, that is your most important part of planning.

Lifey who used her 2004 Milepost

8. Default

Thanks Lifey, going to town today to get my Milepost! Happy Trails!

9. Default Billings MT and up?

I have heard that it is a pretty good road from Billings and then up through Calgary, Edmonton, Grand Prairie, Whitehorse. Anybody have any experience with that way?

As stated above, all those roads are very good highways, though the road through Grand Prairie is pretty slow and windy. The road through Prince George is less so, but from memory, it is longer. Other than the construction which you will strike along the way, you have an excellent highway, albeit a two lane highway with restricted speed limits. But then, all of Canada's road have a much calmer speed limit than the 48 States.