1. Default Planing a cross country trip

My husband and I are in our late 50's and would like to start planning a cross country trip of indefinite length. I would appreciate some advice on the proper vehicle to purchase, and the basic of how to start the planning process. Thanks very much!

Green County, Wisconsin

Default goals

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

The first thing you really need to do to get started is to figure out your goals. Until you know what it is that you want out of this trip, there isn't another person in the world who can help you.

Now, there are hundreds of resources on this site to get you pointed in the right direction, so certainly look around at other threads and of course read many of the articles in the planning section of this site.

As far as a vehicle, again, its an impossible question without knowing anything about your trip or goals. I will say that purchasing a car only for a single trip rarely makes financial sense, and if you are not a resident of the US (citizen or here on a long term visa) it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to purchase a car.

3. Default

I am new to the forum too (driving from Minnesota to Alaska). I understand the dilemna you are facing regarding purchasing a vehicle. Sounds like you are about to embark on an adventure of a lifetime! Good for you. I can only offer my experience with vehicles.

My husband and I have done tenting, seasonal trailer camping, pickup/camper camping, RV camping to include a Bounder, Journey (my fave), Montana (5th wheel) and now a smaller Minnie Winnie. Here is my take:

Tenting: only for the young and strong and stupid. It's soooo much work what exactly is the point?

RV .. Bounder/Journey: Offers the most freedom as you are self sufficient and comfortable. Even if you don't tow a car you can still go anywhere . . even down alleys. You can tow a boat, car, horse trailer .. there are many options. You have a generator so you can have toast even without electricity .. WOW.

Montana (5th wheel): Absolutely the most luxurious in our experience and most comfortable. Nice to have the truck when you get there. You can tow things but different states have different regs and, wow, do you ever get long. Scares me anyhow when I can't see what I'm towing. Corners are a challenge!

My take: Smaller is ok and works if you really like each other and like the same TV shows (or no TV). Comfort is critical. Don't get a luxurious coach but when you sit on the couch you feel like you're on a board. Or you love to cook but there is NO counter. Get what you need to accommodate your particular lifestyle. If the kitchen is important .. go for it. If the TV is important . . have comfortable recliners.

Most important thing to me: Have a slideout in the main living area. Even when we had a pickup camper we had a slideout. All the difference in the world. All the difference, to me, between sanity and wanting to go home.

Happy Trails!