1. Default Where to stop between Zion and LA?? Help!!

Hi,

Any ideas for where to stop between Zion NP and LA (Santa Monica) please? We are stopping at Vegas on our way from Grand Canyon (North) to Zion so dont really want to stop there on the way back but the drive from Zion to LA is just too long!! Trying to squeeze all of the below in to about 16 days so trying to save time wherever we can but dont mind stopping somewhere between Zion and LA if we can spend a few hours there and see something nice/stay at a nice relaxing spa resort? Any ideas welcome!!

Total trip is San Fran - Yosemite - Death Valley - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Zion NP - LA - back up coast to San Fran.

Default more logical

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

Well, the Palm Springs area would certainly have some resorts and you could fit that into your current trip plan - however, you'd probably be better off tweaking your route.

We are stopping at Vegas on our way from Grand Canyon (North) to Zion
    I'm a little confused here, on two fronts. First, if this is your plan, it doesn't make any sense. You essentially have to drive through Zion to get from the North Rim to Vegas, so driving from the North Rim, to Vegas, to Zion means you'd be doing some really crazy backtracking.

However, on your destination list, you make it sound like you are stopping at Vegas after death valley, but before the Grand Canyon. This makes more sense, but you could still make a slight adjustment that will save you a lot of miles and some backtracking.

After Death Valley, go to Vegas, and from there go to Zion. After Zion, head to the North Rim, and from there, head straight to LA. It would make a lot of sense to also hit the south rim with this plan, and stopping in Palm Springs/Joshua Tree would still be possibilities.

3. Default

Sorry yes, i wasnt clear the first time. Plan is Death Valley, then Vegas, then Grand Canyon North, then Zion, then start making our way back to LA.

Sounds like you are basically suggesting to do it the other way around? Looking at a map, to me this doesnt look much difference mileage wise - unless you are suggesting rather than to get back on to I15 on the way back to LA (going past Vegas) to go round from the North Rim to the South and then back on I40 from Flagstaff?? Is this correct? Will this save much time?

Given we are tight on time would you still suggest going to the South Rim if we have spent a night at the North Rim? Stories of lots of crowds have really put me off!

Thank you so much for your help!

DV-LV-Zion-North rim is the most direct with no backtracking. Then take 2 days to get to LA from there, going down to Flagstaff and getting on I-40. You could see some of old Route 66 that way - between Seligman and Kingman, and also up through Oatman if you have time - and spend a night in Lake Havasu City, there's several resorts there.

5. Default

Any idea how long it would take to LA on each route?

Option 1 - North Rim to LA (via Vegas) - over the top
    Option 2 - North Rim to LA (via Flagstaff) - around the bottom

Much apprecaited.

Over the top - 533 miles, 10 to 12 hours.
    Around the bottom - staying on the Interstate - 675 miles, 12 to 14 hours.

7. Default

So it looks like it is quicker to go over the top in which case doesnt really matter if I go Las Vegas - North Rim - Zion or Las Vegas - Zion - North Rim....

In which case, back to my original question - is there anywhere else interesting to stay/go between Zion and LA? Drive from either North Rim to LA or Zion to LA is too long to do in one day and given we are already stopping in Las Vegas on the way out, wondered if there was someway different to stay on the way to LA - preferably somewhere that is more half way between the two as well. Possibly a spa hotel for the night?

Any suggestions apprecaited.

Thanks

Default as I said

If you like the idea of backtracking, then no, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. You'll miss out on a whole lot of new and interesting views, however, which is why an extra hour or two of driving would be well worth it to me.

For a spa resort, I suggested Palm Spring previously, which is about the best place in the area to find such a placed. There are plenty to choose from, but I have no recommendations on the specifics. GLC also mentioned Lake Havasu as another area where you'd have some choices.

Either of these places are a bit of a detour east from Vegas to LA, however, and if this is is where you'd decide to go, then it would be a bit shorter to go around through Flagstaff than to backtrack through Vegas from Zion/North Rim.

Another option, would be to drive straight from DV to Zion and wait for your stop in Vegas until you are making your way back. The direct route would still take you through Vegas, but you could make the drive between the parks in one day pretty easily, and save your stopover for your return trip to LA.

9. Default

That last option definately sounds like a good one - any idea how long the drive would be direct from Death Valley to Zion? Thanks for your help.

DV East Entrance to Springdale via Pahrump and Las Vegas is 266 miles - plan on 5 to 6 hours.