I'm planning to drive with my wife on a 12 day circular from LA late January /early February and have outlined the following route. I plan to drive up to 400 miles and 8 hours on 'driving' days:
Day 1 LA to Flagstaff
Day 2 visit GC and back to Flagstaff
Day 3 to LV
Day 4 visit LV
Day 5, 6 visit Death Valley and Yosemite NP's. Brice would be a plus if we could manage it
Day 7 to Sacramento
Day8 visit wine region, to SF
Day 9,10 SF
Day 11 to Monterey
Day 12 to LA
I would really appreciate advice from those who know the area, especially in winter if this is doable, and especially:
- the inevitable holidaymakers dilemma: am I trying to cram too much in?
- are my 'driving' days too long particularly given the smaller more mountainous road in places?
- after LV, what routes and overnight stops would you recommend? I see from other threads that entry to DV from the east or north-east maybe blocked by snow, so does that just leave a long drive though Ridgecrest and Lone Pine as the only alternative?
- Is Brice Canyon just an option too far - I can't see a way of getting there from LV without doubling back?
- after Sacremento the route to wineries, SF and back to LA seem straightforward - is that presumption correct?
Thanks in advance - all advice will be gratefully received!