1. Default Driving from Inland Empire to Yosemite to Mammoth Lake to inland Empire

It is kind of late, but I stumble upon this great website and thought better to ask question before trip. I am driving on Sep 30 early morning by standard car (Rental car, don't know make and model) from Inland empire to Yosemite and staying at Wawona hotel. I will bw staying 2 days in Wawona. Mapquest is suggesting I-5 to CA 99, CA 41. What are the spots not miss in Yosemite? My wife and 2 kids (10 yrs old son and 5 yrs old daughter) will be with me.

2nd October, I am planning to take Tioga pass to Mammoth lake and staying night at Mammoth lake. I have been driving last 10-15 years but not on mountain roads. After reading many posts that this will be steep drive, I am little scared. I have driven Ortega highway from OC to Lake Elsinore.

3rd oct I will drive back to Inland empire from Mammoth laske via US 395, I will have plenty of time on 3rd, Please suggest good spots on US 395 and Mammoth Lake.

I will appreciate your inputs.

Joplin MO

Inland Empire encompasses a large area so I don't know exactly where you are leaving from - but what I might do is take I-15 north to avoid all the LA traffic. There are a few ways to get from 15 to the Bakersfield area, which is where you want to go to pick up 99. The most direct is probably 395 to 58.

If you can drive the Ortega, you can drive Tioga. Don't worry.

If you leave early from Mammoth Lakes, you would probably have time to go through Death Valley on your way home. You could go out the east entrance and take 127 to Baker and pick up I-15.