1. Default Boulder to Santa Rosa - Early November

I will be driving from Boulder to Santa Rosa, Ca during the first full week in November. This will be my first trip to this part of the country and am looking for some brief side trips on the way with the majority of the stay the Santa Rosa/ Sonoma/San Fran. area. I understand the the route which takes me through Wyoming, Utah and Nevada before Ca is very scenic and would like some ideas where to take advantage of this without spending more than three days to get to Santa Rosa. Thanks

Tucson, AZ

Default Side Trips and Stops

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, you can start your side trips almost as soon as you pull away from your front door. You have a few 'extra' hours in the three days you'd need to devote to this drive anyway, so why not enjoy the scenery of US-40 across Colorado through the Roosevelt National Forest, Hot Sulfur Springs, and Steamboat Springs, then stopping outside Vernal, UT to visit Dinosaur National Monument before picking up I-80 in the Salt Lake area. Bonneville Salt Flats may also appeal to you and I like to recommend a stop at the Star Hotel in Elko, NV, not for a night but for one of their unique Basque family style meals. I-80 will then take you by Virginia City, Reno, and Lake Tahoe, all of which are worthy of your attention.

Joplin MO

You also have the option of taking I-70 out to Utah, then US-50 (The Loneliest Road) across Nevada.