Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Grand Canyon - Las Vegas- Los Angeles Trip

Hi Everyone!

Ive been doing some reading on this site - what a great site! Everyone is so helpful... hopefully you can help us with our planning as well!

My husband an I woudl like to plan a trip next summer (july/august) driving from the Grand Canyon - LV- LA. The only difficulty is that, although Im an american citizen I live in Amsterdam. So we would both need to fly into AZ first, increasing our costs.

Therefore my first question is how much would the expected costs be for a roadtrip lasting about 3 weeks and travelling to the abovestated locations? We would spend about 3-4 days at teh GC, then move on to Las Vegas for about a week and spend the rest of the time in or around LA. The hotel accommodations dont need to be too snazzy - but clean and neat at the very least. (maybe a little snazzier in Vegas:))

Some help on indicating the costs of such a trip would be very welcome! We're newlyweds, so the experience is more important than an expensive trip!

Thanks in advance!

Michelle and Sandy

2. Default

Especially gas costs and specifics about car rental. For example how and where to rent for best rates and simplicity (pick up/drop off)

Thanks again!

I don't quite understand why you would have to fly into AZ first - is there no reason why you couldn't fly into LA, rent the car there, and do a "loop trip"?

Default what the?

I too am extremely puzzled by your "need" to fly into Arizona - and I'm curious as to what being a US citizen has to do with it. An American Citizen is a citizen of all 50 states, and entering the US in Arizona is no different than entering the US in Alaska, Alabama - or anywhere else in the 50 states.

Of course, even saying that, I'm not sure its even necessarily true that flying into Phoenix would be more expensive. That just depends upon the specific deals that are ou there right now.

As to your questions about cost and finding the lowest prices, there just isn't a magic bullet. Really, the best thing you can do is shop around. The more places you look the more likely you are to find a good deal. I will say a couple things that could keep your costs down, first is to do a loop trip, which will usually significantly cut the price of both your airfare and your car rental. I would also say that if your husband is not a US citizen, you may be able to find a better deal putting the rental car in his name and/or going through a european travel agent/broker/website for the car rental. I can't tell you why, but often times international visitors can get better deals on car rentals than Americans. As long as you are married, you could still drive the car without paying an extra driver fee in most cases (although always check the fine print on something like that).

5. Default

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for helping us out!

About me stating that Im an american citizen living aroad (i guess I worded it incorrectly to make you all think that I was mentioning it in terms of what airport to fly into) I mentioned it in terms of the price of renting a car (citizens vs. foreign rates?) and the simple fact that we would have to fly into somewhere before starting the roadtrip- as we come from Amsterdam. It didnt specifically need to be AZ - that just seemd logical as our starting point would be the GC.

However the tip of a loop trip is indeed interesting financially - that would definitely cut down flight and car rental rates. I think we'll start planning from here!

Thanks again!

Default understood

I think we all understood that you were an american citizen living abroad - that's why I indicated you may find a cheaper rate if your husband books the car, assuming that he is not a US citizen - it was just the "need to fly into AZ" part that had us puzzled, thinking you ment that Arizona was the only place you could fly.

Flying into Phoenix is an option, but Las Vegas is about the same distance. If you don't do a loop trip, and still go the one way route, you may find better deals and or lower drop fees going from Vegas to LA rather than starting in Phoenix.

7. Default

Thanks, thats an idea too... We'll look into those ticket prices!

Hi
    As a Dutchman who has visited the USA many times maybe I can give you some hints.
    Flying Phoenix often is cheapest option. No direct flights between Amsterdam and Phoenix or Amsterdam to Las Vegas. Prices are very different. Count on some € 600,-- pp for the flights. We often flew via Chicago with United. No complaints about them.
    For the carrental, it doesn't mather whether you rent in Las Vegas or Phx. Same prices. Often no drop off charges between Las Vegas and LA. Sometimes even not between Phx and LA. As mentioned before, you can find good deals by going to a Dutch Travelagency and book your flights and car there. "Hotelplan" often has good deals and is reliable. I'd fly Phoenix for this trip.
    In Phoenix there's a new rentalcarcenter just at its west side. A shuttle directly at the arrival hall will bring you there. All companies are gathered at that new center.
    From Phoenix I'd head for Sedona first (2 hours from Phx) and enjoy the magnificent surroundings.
    From Sedona drive via Flagstaff and National Monuments like Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater Volcano and Wupatki to Cameron first and have one of the famous taco's. After that enter GC by its east entrance and stop at Desert View for your first overlooks on the canyon. Maybe stay in GC Village at one of the rimhotels. El Tovar, Kachina, Thunderbird and Bright Angel are right at the rim. Yavapai and Maswik are on a short distance. www.grandcanyonlodges.com If all booked try lodging in Tusayan at the south entrance of CG. A reservation is a must, better today than tomorrow ;)
    GC to Las vegas is a 5 hours drive but you can take a longer route and drive old R66 between Seligman and Kingman and visit Hoover Dam on your way to Las Vegas. Parking at the Az is free. Fill your tank in Az, cheaper than NV and Ca. Las Vegas to LA is another 5 hours drive. Around Las Vegas are some places very worth visiting like Lake Mead, Valley of Fire SP and Red Rock Canyon. On your way to LA maybe take a detour via Mojave National Preserve. Too often overlook.
    If you want more info just let me know.
    Btw, with 3 weeks I would add place like Page (Antelope Canyon, Lake Powell, Horseshoe bend overlook and Glen Canyon Dam), Bryce Canyon NP and Zion NP to your trip.
    Yeehaw

9. Default

Thanks! Heel erg gedetailleerd en goed advies - ik zocht ook iemand die ons een beetje een voorgekauwde vakantie zou aanbevelen - van daaruit kun je altijd zelf kiezen wat je wel of niet wilt gaan bezoeken, en toch een beetje 'eigen' maken!

I think we will go past a dutch travel agency and start putting together a package that works for us qua price and sights to see..

Thanks again everyone for your help!

Graag gedaan!
    Maybe better ask for details on this forum instead at a travelagency. Just book yours flights and carrental there....lol.
    Yeehaw.