1. Default L.A-San Francisco-Las Vegas-San Diego-L.A

Hi!

I found this site while searching information for my roadtrip in California. I have read som of the previous threads and that has been really helpful! I have a few questions though...

The plan is to:
    1. Start in L.A and hang around for a few days.
    2. Go to Big Sur
    3. San Francisco (stay a few days).
    4. Sonora
    5. Yosemite (stay a few days).
    6. Lone Pine
    7. Shoshone
    8. Las Vegas (stay a few days).
    9. Springdale
    10. Monument Valley
    11. Grand Canyon (stay a few days)
    12. Sedona
    13. Blythe (?)
    14. San Diego
    15. Huntington Beach/Laguna Beach (stay here or in San Diego at least a day)
    16. L.A, leave car.

We (me and my boyfriend) have planned to be on the road about three weeks. Is that realistic? When driving from Springdale, towards Monument Valley, we thought about taking US 89. Is that a good choice or does anyone have any other suggestions? When going from Grand Canyon and towards San Diego we probably need to make a stop somewhere, is there some city/town one should visit?

I also wonder if there is some particular roadmap that is better than the others? Is there a map that shows motels and gasstations? We both live in Sweden, so if you can find/buy a map on the internet or if there is some shop that specialize in this in L.A that would be great!

Thank you!

Erica

Default solid

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I think the outline you've got right now is pretty solid.

If you are looking for someplace to visit between the Grand Canyon and San Diego, I think I would be looking at Joshua Tree National Park and the Palm Springs area.

I will also note that if this trip is in winter or spring, you'll have an issue getting across the Sierras, because of seasonal road closures.

If you look in the planning section of this website, you'll find an entire page filled with map recommendations, including links to purchase them online through Amazon.

I would personally allow some extra time to get from Springdale to Monument Valley, and go as follows:

Go through Zion on 9. Take 89 north to 12, and go through Bryce Canyon. Take 12 to 24 (one of the most scenic mountain highways anywhere) and go through Capitol Reef. Then take 95, go through Natural Bridges, and if it's in decent shape take 261 down the Moki Dugway to 163. If the Moki is bad or you don't want to chance it, just stay on 95 to 191 to 163.

From Grand Canyon to San Diego, you can certainly go through Sedona, then go down through Phoenix to 8. Another option is take I-40 to Seligman, then old 66 to Kingman, then old 66 through Oatman to Topock and get back on I-40. Then you can take more old 66 to Amboy, then down to 29 Palms and through Joshua Tree - and head for Palm Desert. Take 74 to 371 to 79 down through Julian to 8. Allow extra time for this too.

You may want to cut back on some time spent in cities to do some of this scenic stuff.

4. Default

Thank you very much!

We will have a look at the maps and the suggestions. We are planning to leave in June 2010, it is just me who want to have a carefully prepared plan:)

Erica

Default late spring

June can at times be a little tricky. Mostly you need to be aware that Tioga Pass through Yosemite sometimes doesn't open until well into June, and if it is a late spring, you might not be able to cross the Sierras in the park. If that is the case, you'll have to find out if the other passes to the north of the park are open yet or go around via the Bakersfield area. Unfortantly, since this is completely related to the weather, there is no way of knowing what you'll be facing in this regard until next year.

It's a good possibility that Sonora Pass (CA-108) and Ebbetts Pass (CA-4) will be open in June, and a virtual certainty that Carson Pass (CA-88) will be open, as it's maintained year round. CA-4 is quite narrow and steep though.

7. Default

Ok. Thank you! I thought it was open during the summer. We are going to visit some friends in NYC and L.A first, so I think (give or take a few days) that we will not reach Yosemite until the first week in July. How can one find out if the pass is open?

Default defining summer

Well, it is always open in summer, its just a matter that sometimes Summer doesn't start in this case until July!

The National Park Service or CalTrans is your best bet for finding out information. Here is the historical data (links to other Sierra pass info at the bottom), Once you are "on the ground" there will be signs saying if the road is open or closed, and the opening date is usually posted on this forum relatively soon after, especially as part of the bi-annual prediction contest here at RTA!