1. Default From East to West

Hi everyone,

I am a student in US. This winter, I plan to drive from New York to San Francisco. The trip will probably start around Dec 1st and I plan to spend 20~22 days to reach SF. I have my own car and my budget is about $2000.

Because US is such a big country and I have just been US for less then a month, I am not sure where should I visit. Can anyone give me some advice on which places I should go?

Now, I am thinking on this route:

NY->PH->Washington->miami->TX->vegas->LA->SF.

Many thanks!

Default So many options !

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have a nice amount of time and I would say a reasonable budget for your trip but it's really for you to decide which things appeal to you as we don't even know what your interests are. I would do a little research and start to find places that you would like to see and put some dots on the map as there are literally thousands of possibility's. It is once you have done this that we can help to join those dots together and offer some other suggestions along the way.
    Have a good look around the forums and road trip planning pages to find some great info.

It looks like you have about $100 a day. By the time you finish with fuel and food, you may be caught short if you wind up in areas that have no inexpensive motels. It's not difficult finding $40 rooms in rural areas, but most large cities will set you back $75 or more. You may want to look at hostels.

If you plan on visiting several national parks, buy a yearly pass at the first one you come to - it's $80 and will get you into any park. Otherwise, the admission to parks can be as high as $25 each.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Southwest Dave View Post
    Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

You have a nice amount of time and I would say a reasonable budget for your trip but it's really for you to decide which things appeal to you as we don't even know what your interests are. I would do a little research and start to find places that you would like to see and put some dots on the map as there are literally thousands of possibility's. It is once you have done this that we can help to join those dots together and offer some other suggestions along the way.
    Have a good look around the forums and road trip planning pages to find some great info.
    thank you for your reply. I am interested in nature beauty as well as different culture. Hopefully, the time is not too short for me to experience american culture on the way.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    It looks like you have about $100 a day. By the time you finish with fuel and food, you may be caught short if you wind up in areas that have no inexpensive motels. It's not difficult finding $40 rooms in rural areas, but most large cities will set you back $75 or more. You may want to look at hostels.

If you plan on visiting several national parks, buy a yearly pass at the first one you come to - it's $80 and will get you into any park. Otherwise, the admission to parks can be as high as $25 each.
    Great advice, thanks!