1. Default suggestions for 20 days West USA road trip

Hi, we will arrive and depart from LA from 4-24 October. We would like to take a loop from LA-SF-Yosemite-Lake Tahoe-Reno-Salt Lake-Yellowstone-Grand Teton-Moab-Arch-Monument Valley-Page/Lake Powell-Bryce-Zion-Grand Canyon-Las Vegas-LA

Is this loop possible for family with 2 kids (age 9 and 13)? We would very much like to see Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand canyon and Antelope Canyon (if possible).

South of England.

Default On the edge.

Hello and welcome to the RTA forums !

Whereas it is possible to cover the miles in the 20 days I think that you are starting to stretch it a bit, especially with two young kids who won't appreciate long spells in the car to often. It really does depend on how much time you wish to spend at the places on your list against time in the car. By the time you add little detours I would reckon your trip to be in the region of 3500 miles to cover. If you split it into two, you would have something like 10 days of driving for 6-7 hours a day and 10 to enjoy what you have travelled to see. A couple of days in places like SF, Yosemite, Yellowstone and Grand canyon and you can see how quickly time can pass by.
    If Yellowstone is a must for you then you could cut significant miles by leaving Moab and MV out and visiting Salt lake city on the way down to Zion instead of on the way up to Yellowstone.

Have a look around the forums and road trip planning pages where you will find lots of info that may help you decide whats best for you and your family.

3. Default

Thank you so much Southwest Dave (the roadtrip Guru) for your advice. To visit the places (NPs) we would like to take nice photos and do some short walks to admire the natures, not hiking. Since we live very far from US and not go to US often so we'd like to see/travel as much as possible. I copied this plan somewhere and if I cut day 7-8 in Moab so it will quite fit with my duration. Please comment/suggest where to cut or which other places wirth not to be missed.

1 N/A BKK LA Arrive LA
    2 271 LA LV LV
    3 150 LV Bryce Canyon NP Zion NP, Bryce Canyon NP
    4 150 Bryce Canyon NP Page/Lake Powell Bryce Canyon NP
    5 - Page/Lake Powell Glen Canyon Dam, Colorado River "Float"
    6 260 Page/Lake Powell Chinle Monument Valley
    7 225 Chinle Moab Canyon De Chelly, Spider Rock
    8 - Moab Arches NP
    9 220 Moab Vernal Dinosaur National Monument
    10 285 Vernal Jackson Jackson
    11 127 Jackson Yellowstone NP Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP
    12 - Yellowstone NP Yellowstone NP
    13 320 Yellowstone NP Salt Lake City Mormon Temple Square
    14 - Salt Lake City Salt Lake City
    15 290 Salt Lake City Elko Bonneville Salt Flats
    16 290 Elko Reno Reno
    17 271 Reno Fresno Lake Tahoe
    18 260 Fresno SF Yosemite NP
    19 - SF SF
    20 211 SF San Simeon Pacific Coast, Monterey, 17-Mile Drive, Pebble Beach
    21 251 San Simeon LA Santa Barbara
    22 - LA LA
    23 - LA BKK Depart LA

South of England.

Default To get you started.

Hi Bali,
    I am not sure I understand that itinerary and the numbers with it, but for instance it looks as though part 2 is 2 or 3 days as it says LA LV LV. and 17] Reno, Fresno, Lake Tahoe, doesn't make any sense from a mapping point of view.
    I think at this stage you need to get out a map or go on a mapping program and start researching your trip. Google is popular and I have outlined a basic map to get you started.
    As it is it includes LA, PCH [route1 around Big Sur etc] SF, Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Reno, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Salt lake city, Bryce canyon, Zion NP, Page [Antelope canyon/Lake Powell] Grand canyon south rim, Las Vegas.
    The travel times will be longer than stated but it will give you a good idea of distance. For instance the coast road between LA and SF will take at least 2 days to start to enjoy any of the scenery. You will need to take a couple of days between Tahoe and Yellowstone, possibly 3 with time in Reno, and again from Bryce to GC at least 2 nights to visit Zion and Page but 3 to 4 would be better to enjoy the places you are visiting.
    As I have said it is purely to give you a point to start from but it's for you to decide where you want to go and what you want to see, Arches and MV are still a possibility, Death valley could be added but once you have an idea of how you want to spend your time post up your plan and we can help "fine tune" it but for now it is up to you to make some choices. To help you decide you might find the NPS website a handy tool. Click on the map in the appropriate state to get info on each of the parks.

5. Default Ideal plan

Hi Dave,

It's quite difficult and take so much times just to do the plan for a fixed period/schedule. But finally I have come up with the ideal plan. Please feel free to comment!
    Day 1 - arrive LA
    Day 2 - drive on 101 to Carmel (340 miles)
    Day 3 - go on to SF
    Day 4 - SF
    Day 5 - go to Yosemite (370 miles)
    Day 6 - Yosemite
    Day 7 - go to Death Valley (340 miles)
    Day 8 - to LV
    Day 9 - LV
    Day 10 - Bryce Canyon
    Day 11 - on the way to Yellowstone ---> I don't want to stay at SLC so is Idaho Falls OK?
    Day 12 - Yellowstone
    Day 13 - Yellowstone
    Day 14 - SLC
    Day 15 - Moab, Arches
    Day 16 - Monument Valley, Page/Lake Powell (425 miles)
    Day 17 - Antelope
    Day 18 - Grand Canyon
    Day 19 - Barstow
    Day 20 - LA
    Day 21 - LA (Disneyland)
    Day 22 - back to home country

Any suggestions? (to cut or to add)

South of England.

Default Ideal.

The great thing about taking control of your road trip is that you as an individual get to choose where you want to go and how long you wish to be in any one spot, making it ideal for that individual. If you are happy with the pace and having the time at the places you want then great !
    Idaho falls is going to be a full days driving from Bryce but it will set you up nicely for a shorter trip into Yellowstone.
    Having to get from SLC to Moab and the following day get to Page isn't going to leave much time in Moab and Arches NP but it's doable.
    I would personally spend night 19 [Barstow] nearer to the Grand canyon to give yourselves more time to explore this wonder of the world and take a longer drive back to LA on day 20, maybe stopping around Kingman or Lake Havasu city.