1. Default What to do around San Francisco?

Hello, I am a European who used this forum a couple of years ago, and the the suggestions I received were wonderful: we had a great time going from Las Vegas to Death Valley to the Sequoias in the Sierra to LA to SF.

Now I am back to the United States: from 10th to 12th October I am in a conference at Stanford. But I will be there with my fiancé from October 3rd to October 16th. So, from the 4th until the 10th, and from the 12th till the 16th, we have free time to travel around. I would like to ask you what do you suggest me to do. I was in SF but only for 3 days (I only visited the city center).

I could accept ideas nearby, or even something wilder, like taking a flight to Yellowstone, or something similar.
    Last edited by Southwest Dave; 09-14-2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Added link.

Default Lots of options.

Hello and welcome back to RTA !

You will find lots of ideas throughout the forums by using the search button but if you didn't include them in your other trip top of my list would be Yosemite NP and the coastal highway, route 1 through Big Sur etc. Other options would be to head North over Golden gate bridge to Point Reyes national seashore and up to the Redwood NP near Eureka, Napa valley and Lake Tahoe are also considerations.
    With a flight your options are endless but have a look around and when you have decided what will work for you, let us know and we can help to "fine tune" your chosen trip.

3. Default

Hello, thank you very much for your reply.

The problem I have is the first trip was so wonderful, that I fear this one cannot fulfill my expectations.

We already did the coastal highway the other time. I did not visit Yosemite NP, Redwood NP, Napa Valley or Lake Tahoe. What would you recommend as most*spectacular*? (in the sense of remembering the visit for the rest of your life, due to beatiful scenery, ...).

I am also considering to visit Microsoft, Google, ... I do not know if in this forum you can also help me on that. Is it necessary to pre-book? Is it worth the visit?

Default Yosemite.

The problem I have is the first trip was so wonderful, that I fear this one cannot fulfill my expectations.
    I know what you mean but I would just look at this as a whole new adventure and not one to compare with other trips, but you won't be disappointed.

We already did the coastal highway the other time. I did not visit Yosemite NP, Redwood NP, Napa Valley or Lake Tahoe. What would you recommend as most*spectacular*?
    I would do some research and decide which suits you best as they are all spectacular in there own way. Having said that Yosemite is one of the most spectacular places in the world through my eyes. It is only a few hours from SF and could be visited in a loop with South lake Tahoe over your 6 day period [4th to 10th]or just spend a few days there exploring between the 12th and 16th.
    You would still have the chance to go up the coast to the Redwoods during the other part of your break if you wanted to.

5. Default

Hello, I have been reading the forum a bit, and I think the suggestion:

SF -> Yosemite NP -> Lake Tahoe -> Redwood NP -> returning to SF through the coast road, makes a lot of sense. Two questions:

1. Could we make it in 5/6 days?
    2. Would you change/add/delete something?

Default You may want to tighten your circle

I'm going to register a dissenting opinion.

You may want to forego Redwood NP... that would add quite a bit of road time. It will take a full days drive or more to get to Redwood NP from Tahoe, and about that much to return to the Bay Area. That's 2 of your 5/6 days shot driving.

My choice would be to spend more time in Yosemite and Tahoe, and add a visit to Muir Woods and Point Reyes as you loop back to SF.

You should visit the Giant Sequoia grove near Wawona in Yosemite to see one type of redwood; Muir Woods will allow you the opportunity to walk through some coast redwood groves.

You ought to be able to exit Yosemite over Tioga Pass (weather permitting), which would let you to see Mono Lake and maybe Bodie (if your car rental agreement allows) as you head up 395, crossing over into the Tahoe Basin over Kingsvale Grade or US50 from Carson City.

Figure a half day to get to Yosemite (a day and a half/two nights there), a days drive to Tahoe, (a day/two nights there), a half day back to the Bay Area, the remainder of that day spent in Muir Woods/Point Reyes. That's 5 full days.