1. Default After graduation roadtrip

So after my senior year of high school, I plan on going on a roadtrip starting in Florida and heading up the eastern coast with 3 of my friends. We'll all be 18, but we've never done anything like this before so any help would be greatly appreciated.

We plan on staying in the US, so passports aren't needed, and we'll probably hit GA, SC, NC, VA, either/or MD, DV, WV, NJ/PA, and we're nor sure if we'll keep heading north towards NY all the way up to ME, or just start heading west towards OH, MI, and WI, and then start heading home again.

We plan on making this around a 2 week trip, and I'm not sure what our budget will be, but we are willing to stay on campgrounds, etc.

We just really want a last hoorah before college begins, and something exciting and parent free. So again, any advice is definitely needed! Thanks =)

Tucson, AZ

Default Pondering Imponderables

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Unfortunately, all of the questions you ask are ones that only you and your friends can answer. Certainly you can get to New England, on to the Midwest, and back to Florida in 2 weeks. Such a trip might be a bit frenetic and costly, but if that's what you want... So the first thing you all need to do is figure out what you want. There is a good tool that should at least get you all talking about what it is you want to do, see and accomplish on this trip besides just blow off steam. Right now each of you, having never done this before, probably has a different idea of what it will be like, and it is best to get that all straightened out beforehand so that you aren't arguing about what to do while on the trip. One thing I can tell you is that any trip on the scale you're describing will be expensive. Yes, you can hold costs down by camping and making your own meals, but both of those still cost something and the longer you're on the road, that farther you go, and the more things on your list of things to see and do, the more expensive the trip will become. Once you all have worked out a basic plan or set of parameters that suits you, come back and we can help you with some details. But right now, there's not enough meat on the bones for anyone to comment on.

Joplin MO

I can appreciate a "parent-free" trip, but I'd also not disregard parental advice. I valued my parents' advice my whole adult life till they passed.

Default An Excellent Adventure!

Wow, deja vu on the "last-hurrah" road trip. My niece and her friends graduated high school this past May and also planned a post-high school road trip, from LA to Graceland. Since their parents wouldn't let them go alone, I ended going along for the ride and we had a great time. Here are a few "graduating senior" practical things to consider as you plan:

1. Will the parental units really let you go on your own? They may want you to do some practice trips, or there may be insurance limits on who can drive what car. There may be someone's parents who flat out say no. (we worked through all these issues) Start the conversation now.

2. Check all your families' post-graduation holiday plans. We had one girl drop out because her parents planned the family trip to Europe during the only time period my niece was available. The summer between high school and college is nuts; coordinate calendars early and often.

3. Who can read maps? If you and your friends are not experienced in reading maps and planning itineraries, get some practice now! Seriously.

Wherever you go and however you do it, you'll have a great time! Good luck with your senior year!

5. Default

Thanks so much for the advice!

And referring to the 'parental okay', all of our parents are okay with us going by ourselves. Mine actually encourage it and are willing to pay for some of the trip. So for that aspect we should be good.

I don't think any of us have ever read maps before, I guess we just assumed how hard could it be? Is it really that difficult?

Default Not difficult

But map reading does take some practice. There's nothing more frustrating than realizing you should have taken a highway interchange in the other direction - right after you went the wrong way. Even if you have a gps in the car, you still want to know how to read the grid. Plus, it's just plain wonderful to spread out a paper map out and figure out where to go! You can get free maps if you're a AAA member.

That's great your parents are on board! You're going to have a blast!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Not so much

Quote Originally Posted by RThelp View Post
    I don't think any of us have ever read maps before, I guess we just assumed how hard could it be? Is it really that difficult?
    It's not that hard, but there can be exceptions. One would be a map where North isn't at the top of the page. For some reason, the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre PA area shows up like this on maps quite often.

I used to know one person that couldn't grasp the concept, making for an interesting trip to New York City many years ago.

Then there's a related knowledge item which has helped me in many situations (though it isn't foolproof), where even-numbered US highways and Interstates travel East-West and odd numbers are North-South.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default staying in the lines

Well, I don't think reading maps is hard, yet I've seen other people do things I can't possibly explain.

I would say the biggest thing is to be able to find where you are on a map. Staying on the lines is easy, its when you've gotten away from where you think you are supposed to be, and then to find your place again that can be a bit more challenging.

Joplin MO

If you are "map challenged" you may want to bring a GPS - but do NOT rely solely on it. Use it in conjunction with a good set of maps.