1. Default Seattle to MacDill AFB, Tampa, FL

I am proud to be my son's co-pilot as we drive cross country to his first Air Force Base in Tamp, Fl. We are planning I90-I29-140-I64-I57-I24-I75. We are planning on 6 days and hope to take in a few sights (Mt. Rushmore) along the way. This is our first cross country trip and I would love some site-seeing advice for the trip. Any things to avoid? Is it too early for Fall colors?

Taking our route into consideration, are there any Major League ballparks along the way to pick up an evening game?

We are staying with friends outside Missoula and hope to hit Rapid City the next day. Beyond that, it is up in the air for stops. I will stay 1 day in Tampa and then fly home.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

Default some stops

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You didn't say exactly when you are leaving on this trip, although it sounds like it must be pretty soon?

The ballparks along the way would be in Kansas City, St. Louis, and Atlanta. KC is a very nice part that was way ahead of its time, and you should be able to get tickets quite easily if they are in town. St. Louis' park is magnificant, and is one of my absolute favorites, however, with the Cards doing well this year, tickets could be tough to get. Atlanta I've heard is nice, but I haven't been there myself.

I've been able to get Cards tickets on StubHub this year with no problem. You do need to set them up in advance, because you have to wait for approval and then print them yourself.

By the way, with only 6 days you aren't really allowing much time for any sightseeing - you are looking at a 3150 mile drive with at least 10 to 12 hours on the road each day just to get there.

Your reasonably evenly spaced stops after the first 2 will be around Omaha, STL, and Atlanta. If you want to do a ballgame in KC, you should add a day to your trip, I don't think you could make KC from Rapid City in time for a game. Omaha to STL is doable if you get an early start.

You could, of course, do a Rays game when you get in. However, the *easiest* game would be KC - the stadium is right off the Interstate with ample parking - STL is downtown with major traffic and parking hassles.

Default different perspective

I actually think that St. Louis being a downtown ballpark can make it easier to get in and park than in KC.

Kansas City's park is right off the interstate, but that leads to a "one way in, one way out" situation, where traffic gets backed up a couple miles from the ballpark with everyone trying to go to the same point.

In St. Louis, the various parking options are scattered across downtown, and you've got lots of different surface streets to pick from as you make your way too and from the park, breaking up the traffic and making it a little easier to get around.

And GLC is right about tickets, there are always other options if a game is sold out. I've used both Stub Hub and Ebay, and you can always find scalpers outside the park if you don't want to make a hard committment in advance. When I said it would be tough to get tickets, I ment from the box office and/or at a price thats near face value.

Yes, but evening rush hour (which you will be right in the middle of) in STL is complicated right now by the I-64 reconstruction and closure. I doubt the traffic in KC will be that bad due to the low attendance and their recent changes in the parking lot access options.

In STL, the closer you get to game time, the lower the scalpers' prices get unless they are playing the Cubs.

6. Default

Thanks for the ballpark tips. We are planning on leaving 9/23. I will have to research these parks and see how it goes.

KC is on a homestand from 9/21 through 9/27. All are evening games except Sunday 9/27. STL is on the road. ATL is home 9/28 through 9/30, as are the Rays. I didn't check October.