1. Default Need Help Planning First Road Trip

I'm a first time road tripper and my girl friend and I were planning on taking a few different routes. We were planning on going for one month each summer for the next four years and visiting 12 states every year. We planned on staying in each state for 2-3 days and observing the state as we passed through.

Route One: Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas in no certain order.

Route Two: North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Wisconsin, and Illinois. Again in no certain order.

Route Three: Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Ohio, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, North Carolina, and West Virginia. No certain order.

Route Four: Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, New jersey, Delaware, Virginia, and Maryland. No certain order once again.

We were just looking some advice or some previous routes that veterans have taken through these states. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default That's One Way to Go About It

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

But doing 12 states at a time is probably not the most efficient or even handed way to accomplish your goal. The problem is that the states in the East, particularly the Northeast, are smaller and thus closer together than the states in the West so that you'd have to spend a lot more of your time driving to cover the western group of 12. Another way that might work better is to do 4 sections where you cut up the U.S. into roughly equal area quadrants, say using the Mississippi and roughly the 40th parallel (latitude) as dividing lines. Or yet another way might be to make several coast-to-coast-to-coast, or north-to-south-to-north round trip transits of the U.S. This would have the advantage of making each year's RoadTrip as varied as possible. Depending on where home is, you could also do a kind of daisy petal pattern where you do a loop each year that forms one petal on the pattern that will eventually cover the entire country.

3. Default

Thanks for your input, I will consider rerouting the trip.

South of England.

Default Research.

With such a large scale journey[s] there are literally thousands of ideas and not knowing anything off your interests it's difficult to make a start. I would get the map out and find places that look of interest to you and search the forums for info on those places. When you have an outline plan for your first trip post it up and then we can help you to "fine tune" it and possibly make some alternative suggestions on your route.

Enjoy the planning !

5. Default

Heh, planning trips for the next 4 years? I couldn't pull it off, im too spontaneous, anyhow seems like you have it all figured out. 2-3 Days per state should be sufficient depending on the size of the state.
    Have a nice trip :)