1. Default New member planning 'honeymoon'

Hi everyone, so glad I found this site, is exactly what I need after months of ideas scrambling my brains! :-)

My fiance and I are getting married in Las Vegas in April next year and plan to spend our 'honeymoon' afterwards driving across the States and eventually ending up in Boston before flying home to Scotland.

The rough route we have in mind is... (now bear with me here!)...Las Vegas to LA to Oklahoma City to Jackson to Memphis to Chicago to Washington to New York and finish in Boston.

Does this sound like a good plan? Anything to recommend or avoid? We've got 3 weeks to spend doing this, which I'm hoping will give us time in each stop.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thank you so much in advance.

XXX

Default Lots of options.

Congratulations on your up coming wedding and Hello, welcome to the RTA forums !

Your trip is certainly doable in 3 weeks and if it's what you want to do and they are the places you wish to visit and you don't mind clocking up the miles then it's a good plan. You probably have a bit over 4000 miles to cover to hit these spots which is about a weeks worth of travel if you were to spend 10 hours on the road for each of those 7 days, allowing time for short breaks for food, gas and bathroom breaks. If you wanted to spend a few days in Vegas and then head to LA for a couple of days you could already be saying goodbye to the best part of a week before you start heading East.
    I see your trip is based on city's but there are a lot of great National and State parks and amazing countryside also out there, one famous one close to Vegas is the Grand canyon. I would have a look around the forums and road trip planning pages to get some ideas and see what appeals to you both.

3. Default

Thats great, thanks Dave.

We had a slightly more ambitious plan to involve Orlando and Miami too but we wrote that one off as sillyness.

I know we've included all the big cities (typical tourists eh?) but we just feel we don't want to miss out anything on this trip. Also looking forward to spending time it the smaller towns between the cities, especially on the longer stretches of our journey. Hopefully will spend some of the journey on the old Route 66 too, but don't know how realistic this would be.

We're in Vegas for 4 days before the wedding so we've already got plans to spend time there and a day at the Grand Canyon with the family who will be coming to the wedding. So will be setting off on our trip the day after we get married.

Do you think its sensible to drive and fly home from Boston? Or would it be better to do a fly drive loop-trip and get back to Las Vegas before home?

Sorry to be so clueless. Ha ha.

xxxx

Default Time.

We're in Vegas for 4 days before the wedding so we've already got plans to spend time there and a day at the Grand Canyon with the family who will be coming to the wedding.
    The Grand canyon is more than a day trip from Vegas and would require an overnight stop or else you are looking at 10-11 hours of driving for an hour or two at the rim.

Do you think its sensible to drive and fly home from Boston? Or would it be better to do a fly drive loop-trip and get back to Las Vegas before home?
    I think in this case a one way trip would be better or else you will spend most of your honeymoon in the car. Have you got 3 weeks for the roadtrip or does that include your time in Vegas and your big day?

5. Default

Wow. Didn't realise the Grand Canyon was that far. Will definately need to look into an overnight stay. Couldn't possibly be so close and not see the Grand Canyon.

We've got 3 weeks to do the trip following the wedding. Will be over for 25 days in all.

Thanks so much for the advice, will need to look into flights home from Boston now :-)

xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_lel View Post
    Or would it be better to do a fly drive loop-trip and get back to Las Vegas before home?
    For my money it would need to be a loop. It is obvious from your comments that you are not familiar with this spectacular place on earth. There is nothing like the great National Parks west of the Rockies.

You and your family are visiting the Grand Canyon before the wedding... have you thought of taking a trip from Vegas to Zion, Bryce, maybe the North Rim, Vermillion Cliffs, Lee's Ferry, Monument Valley, Arches, Salt Lake City, Reno - the biggest little city, Lake Tahoe, Death Valley, Yosemite, San Francisco, Pacific Coast Highway, LA and back to Vegas. (Maybe even fit in Yellowstone.)

Cities are wherever you travel, but this countryside created by Nature cannot be seen anywhere else. Pictures and movies just don't do them justice.

Lifey who wishes you well

7. Default

Thats great, thank you all so much for the fab advice.

No I'm definately not familiar with your stunning country (is it that obvious lol?) hence the reason we planned on taking in the big cities like typical tourists. You'd think I'd have thought about the countryside and scenery coming from somewhere as scenic as Scotland myself!

Will definately need to sit down and have another wee re-think of our plans, thanks for the great ideas. Do you think 3 weeks would give us plenty time in each location?

xx

Quote Originally Posted by diamond_lel View Post
    Do you think 3 weeks would give us plenty time in each location?

xx
    In short, NO! But then months would not be enough time.

I have been to the Grand Canyon four times, and most of the other places more than once... and am still looking forward to maybe return one day to see some of the sights I have not yet seen.

Just make the most of the time you have. Do your research and see which ones you would like to spend how much time. You will not necessarily go to all, but I just wanted you to have some idea of how much there is to see in the west.

Lifey