Default Highway Robbery on the Indiana Toll Road

I try not to complain about gas prices too much, but this caught my eye and think it is really unbelievable.

The Mobil stations at the 2 eastern most service plazas on the I-80/I-90/Indiana Toll Road (both directions) are selling regular unleaded for $2.99 a gallon!

This is more than 50 cents a gallon higher than anywhere else in the area. For example, the truck stops off of I-69 just mile north of the toll road, and about 2 miles from one of those Service Plazas are selling regular for $2.39.

In my case, a 2 mile road trip detour off the toll road saved me nearly $9!

This is only Service Plazas with the Mobil stations, the BP branded gas stations at the Service Plazas on the western half of the Toll Road are a reasonable $2.49 a gallon.

Also of note for people traveling in the area, Ohio is becoming an EZ Pass state starting next month. That means you'll now be able to drive from Illinois to the East Coast without having to pay cash for any toll. However, it should also be noted that Ohio is also raising the cash rate to $15 to go all the way across the state. The EZ-Pass (or Indiana's I-zoom or Illinois' I-pass) will save you nearly $5 for a cross Ohio trip. Indiana and Illinois also charge more for cash customers, so the $10 deposit for a transponder will nearly pay for itself on its first trip across these states!

Default 'bout time

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Also of note for people traveling in the area, Ohio is becoming an EZ Pass state starting next month.
    It's about time they jumped on the bandwagon. Do you know if they are going to put it in every lane? In Massachusetts, its called "Fast Lane", but some exits it's only on one lane, turning the Fast Lane into the parking lot...

Default flexible?

I'm not completely sure, but it looks like they might keep it flexible where they would be able open up more or less lanes as needed. They've installed electronic signs that right now say "tickets only" above all open lanes, but I'm sure they will switch to EZ-Pass for at least some of the lanes. There were also a number of EZPass signs up, but were blacked out so you couldn't read when info they would be passing along.

I suspect in Ohio where there are only about 30 points to access the Tollway at all, its probably not going to be too big of a hassle even if there are only one or two EZPass lanes open at a time. I know both Illinois and NY both let you use EZPass even in a "cash" lane, so I would think that would be a possibility too.

I'm going to jump in here and complain about highway robbery in Illinois too.

I've had an I-Pass for years. When I moved to MO, I kept it because I do travel back up there and out to the east coast occasionally. I was just up in IL, and I was towing a 5x8 single axle trailer. I got on I-88 to go from Aurora out to Iowa. There were 2 tolls on the way - car I-Pass rate was 95 cents, cash $1.90 at each. When I got home I checked my account and found I was charged $5.35 at EACH ONE. I dug around the site and found the rate chart - that's correct - even with that small a trailer you pay the medium truck rate. If I had known this up front I would have taken US-30 across - and actually probably saved some time, it's a straighter shot and IL still has a 55 mph speed limit for trailers on all roads.

Default A perfect opportunity.......... missed!!

Ohio is in a perfect position to at least follow the lead of Chicago (and a couple of other places I have seen, but forgotten) to implement straight drive through lanes for transponder carriers. The technology exists, and starting of with out-dated technology, which I believe they are, they are missing the opportunity to be ahead of most of the rest.

Lifey who does not want to have to slow down with a transponder

Default construction

Well, I suspect there will at least be a slow down through Ohio, as the Toll Plaza buildings will remain in place, and for safety reasons, you're not going to want to go through that area at 55 mph. When Illinois put in the Open Road Tolling, it took a major amount of construction to rebuild those parts of the highway.

Since Ohio only charges you when you get off and on, unlike Illinois where you'd otherwise have to stop every 20-30 miles, I don't see that they'll think its worth the costs to make the major changes needed completely eliminate the toll plazas.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post

The Mobil stations at the 2 eastern most service plazas on the I-80/I-90/Indiana Toll Road (both directions) are selling regular unleaded for $2.99 a gallon!

This is only Service Plazas with the Mobil stations, the BP branded gas stations at the Service Plazas on the western half of the Toll Road are a reasonable $2.49 a gallon.
    Filled up this week at the BP for $2.37, while the Mobil was $2.89.

How can they justify that? At home it would not be tolerated.

Default free market

I think it is pretty horrible that the tollway allows them to do that, but since Indiana sold the toll road to a private company that hasn't been all that consumer friendly, I'm not too shocked.

What surprises me is that anyone would ever stop at these places, especially when there are signs with other gas stations telling that they have a reasonable price just off the freeway.

Rent charged to the oil companies and food vendors on toll roads is a major profit center, and it's always been that way.