Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Into Portland, Out of San Fran - 1 week

Flying out of Asheville to Portland this month and will spend a week (Wed to Wed) making our way to San Fran. We had both Crater Lake and Yosemite on our list, with Yosemite ranking highest. But, to accomplish the latter would require so much time in the car and very little time to stop, relax and enjoy. We're more into quaint towns and views than wineries and long lines to touristy spots.

We will spend the 1st night in Portland and possibly head to Lincoln City, OR to begin our coastal drive south to Eureka, CA, via 101. From there, we're not sure. We probably want to spend one night in San Fran, at the end of our trip. That gives us 6 days to travel and sight see.

I have found so many interesting posts about drives along the west coast, too many wonderful itineraries to choose from! We're not interested in touring the wineries or famous homes; we do want to enjoy the dramatic coastline and see the redwoods, but we haven't decided on the rest.

Time is running out, we leave next week and will be making reservations for lodging today/tomorrow. Would appreciate opinions on what to do after Eureka.

Back to reading the forums....

Tucson, AZ

Default For Three Days on the Road

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

What makes the most sense to me (Your preferences may be completely different!) would be a trip that leaves Portland and heads immediately for the coast at Seaside, then follows 101 south a bit to Newport enjoying the many great Oregon state parks on the way. From Newport head inland to I-5 and Eugene then use OR-58/US-97 to Crater Lake. Next return to US-97, continue south and use OR-39/CA-139 through the mountains to US-395 south on the eastern flanks of the Sierra Nevada. At Lee Vining, take CA-120 west through Tioga pass and into Yosemite before finishing up on CA-120/I-205/I-580 into San Francisco. Now all that will require about three full days worth of driving, but you can break it up with stops at each of the places you mentioned that you wanted to get to as well as see some great scenery in between

3. Default

Thanks! Happy to have found this place! And thank you so much for your suggestions.

We thought of skipping Crater Lake (maybe plan a trip to the lodge there sometime in the future) and, instead, seeing Mt Shasta on the way to Yosemite. Here's what we have so far:
    Portland to Lincoln City
    101 S to 38 E to I-5 S to Mt Shasta

Both AAA & Mapquest show best route from Mt Shasta as I-5 to 120 to Yosemite, then back across 120/205/580 to San Fran. But, we could take 89 E to 44 S and pick up 395 in Susanville adding only about an hour to the total travel time. Not sure which route would provide the best scenery. We aren't at all familiar with the northern/north eastern part of CA.

Oh, darn...I forgot the Redwoods! Looks like I need to revise again to omit some and include a route through just over the CA border.

4. Default

Jed Smith Redwoods State Park or Yosemite to see the redwoods?

To include Jedediah Smith State Park we would have to choose a portion of the OR coast beginning E of Eugene. We would dip down to Crescent City, CA then across 190 to I5.

After more reading, I'm thinking we should take the route through Tioga Pass.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default different trees

The Redwoods along the Northern California Coast are a distinctly different tree than the Sequoias that you'll find in the Sierras (including a small grove in Yosemite).

This thread explains the difference in a bit more detail.
    Last edited by Midwest Michael; 09-09-2009 at 10:03 AM. Reason: spellin

6. Default

Before that post I had just finished reading this:

Sequoiadendron giganteum (giant sequoia, Sierra redwood, or Wellingtonia) is the sole species in the genus Sequoiadendron, and one of three species of coniferous trees known as redwoods, classified in the family Cupressaceae in the subfamily Sequoioideae, together with Sequoia sempervirens (Coast Redwood) and Metasequoia glyptostroboides (Dawn Redwood). The common use of the name "sequoia" generally refers to Sequoiadendron, which occurs naturally only in the various groves that exist on the western slopes of the Sierra Nevada Mountains of California.

Looks like we would need to add a 1/2 days drive S to Sequoia Natl Park unless we visit the Coast Redwoods.

As is:

Portland to San Fran via:
    Eugene OR over to the coast
    Florence OR via 101
    Crescent City CA (Redwoods)
    Grants Pass to hit I5
    Mt Shasta to Tioga Pass via 89, 44, 395 to Yosemite
    San Fran
    22 hrs

I'm wondering about the route out of Mt Shasta to 395 down to Lee Vining.

7. Default

Is anyone familiar with taking a route south out of Mt Shasta CA (I-5) to 89 to 44 to 395 to Lee Vining?

South of England.

Default A good choice.

I am not familiar with that route but it's the one I would choose to get to Lee vining. It takes you through the Lassen national forest and is only 40 mins or so longer than taking I-5, so no contest in my book. On the way a possible detour to Lassen volcanic NP and towards Truckee on 89 and 267 to Lake Tahoe but you might be to pushed for time and it would be a real long day.

9. Default

Awesome, thank you!
    Planning to spend 1 night on the OR coast, then driving 4-5 hours a day until we arrive in the San Fran area, spending the last 2 nights there. Figuring out driving times and places to stay this morning.

Since parking in San Fran is ridiculously high ($30-$50 p/night on hotel property), I thought we might look at staying in Berkeley. There are some art exhibits we want to check out in SF will take a drive down to Monterey and Big Sur.

Truckee looks like an interesting town with loads of history.

South of England.

Default Sf

There are some Motels in SF that offer free parking just outside the city. I know there are a couple on Lombard St [nr Gough and Van Ness] which are quite close to the Piers and Powell and Hyde line that take you into the city centre. If you have the time I would recommend an Alcatraz tour while in SF.

Have a great time and let us know how it went on your return !