1. Default LA to LV to Yosemite and SF in December

Greetings from Australia!

I initially posted here in November 07 when we were planning a December trip in 08. That went off the rails, but we're back on course no, and tickets have been booked.

I would welcome comments on the following plan:
    1. arrive LA 8 December. 5 nights to get over jet lag and take children [13 & 10] to the usual haunts.

2. 13 December - collect RV. We are renting a "small" 25 footer from Apollo fo r10 days. Down to San Diego for 2 nights.

3. depart SD for LV. Hoping to avoid the LA traffic basin if we can. One of the residents on the forum suggested to another poster to consider SD>Julian>Cathedral City> Joshua Tree>Route 40>Route 95 and enter LV via Boulder City. Not sure if that is a good route or a scenic one, and I welcome feedback.

Can we do that comfortably in a day, arriving and setting up camp in LV that night? I have looked at a few RV parks there and like the look of this one.

4. 7 nights in and around LV before we are due to book into accommodation in SF and drop the RV off. In that time we want to show the children the child friendly sights, lights etc in LV, and go at least to Hoover Dam. Ideally we would also like to see the Canyon though I understand the North Rim will be closed and it is quite hike to the South Rim.

Again, I welcome feedback after you see the rest of the agenda as to whether this is feasible in the available time.

5. I'd like to go from LV>Pahrump and through Death Valley, but I understand weather conditions may force us to take an alternate route say back along highway 15, 59 via Bakersfield, then up through Fresno.

Again, I welcome feedback from the experienced posters here who know California. What I really want my children to see in the limited time is their first snow [not too much mind you], Mariposa Grove, the famous redwoods, a day in Yosemite, hopefully one of the scenic gold rush towns like Columnbia, which I understand is worth seeing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    I did a similar trip by car about 20 years back at the same time of year - first time I saw snow too! I know an RV is a different ballgame and am not intending to be a hero, but I hope I can take my family to most of these places safely. I am looking at RV sites in Oakhurst on the way north and Groveland [off H'way 120]

6. arrive in SF on 23 December for a week before heading home.

All constructive feedback is welcome.

Thanks again.

Default Timing.

Hi Steve, welcome back.

If I am reading it correctly you have the RV for 10 nights, yet you plan on 2 nights in SD and 7 in and around LV, correct? That doesn't add up with travel time to LV and SF never mind Yosemite, but here a couple of answers for you.

Although I haven't driven it the route from SD via Joshua tree to LV is more scenic but would be a long day in an RV, too long IMO and you would need an overnight stop, especially if you wanted to stop for the sights along the way.
    If you wanted to see Grand canyon South rim you would be best off going there from SD and then back to LV, but with the travelling I would recommend a couple of nights. Worth it ?, in my opinion Yes, I think you have to long in LV with the kids, but that's just me.
    We liked the Oasis RV park and the kids will love the pools [as I am sure you will]. The only bad word I have heard is the plane noise during the day as it is near to the airport but we were out all day so it didn't affect us. You can get a free shuttle to the the trolley service at the Southern end of the strip but it does go around the houses picking up from other Hotels. Otherwise it's a cab fare that's around/under $20 with a tip.

The Tioga pass into Yosemite [CA 120] will be closed but that doesn't mean you can't go into Death valley and then head South towards Bakersfield but it'll depend on how you work your time. A nice place to stop in between DV and Yosemite is the Lake Isabella area.

Oakhurst is well situated and has RV parks and you will be able to visit Mariposa grove as you drive into Yosemite from the South, but for the record it is a grove of Giant Sequoias and not Redwoods that are commonly found on the coast.
    We stayed at Yosemite pines near Groveland and in Oakhurst we stayed at High sierra. Both were pleasant enough for an overnight stop and in good locations for Yosemite.

3. Default

If I am reading it correctly you have the RV for 10 nights, yet you plan on 2 nights in SD and 7 in and around LV, correct? That doesn't add up with travel time to LV and SF never mind Yosemite, but here a couple of answers for you.
    I had an attack of dyslexia, Dave. What I meant is that from the time we arrive in LV we would have another 7 nights before dropoff in SF. So, how best to utilise the time to see what we want to see.

Thanks for the tips on the RV parks. Do you recommend any of the parks nearer the Strip like the one behind Circus Circus instead?

Re the drive up to Yosemite, is my suggested route all likely to be readily navigable at that time of year in an RV?

Many thanks.

Default I see.

What I meant is that from the time we arrive in LV we would have another 7 nights before dropoff in SF. So, how best to utilise the time to see what we want to see.
    Gotcha !

How you utilise the time is a personal opinion and one you need to consider where you think you would enjoy your time the best, but if you wanted to see the GC, I would go direct from SD and then to Vegas. It's a long day to get there so you might want to stop a little short and continue on the following morning, explore the canyon and stay in or nearby to the canyon again and then head to Vegas the following day. With a couple of nights in Vegas and a trip across Death valley and a possible night in the Lake Isabella area would leave you a night in Oakhurst and one in Groveland, which I think is quite a nice balance.

Thanks for the tips on the RV parks. Do you recommend any of the parks nearer the Strip like the one behind Circus Circus instead?
    Circus circus is certainly an ideal location but I have not stayed there to offer any other info, but as far as a resort type RV park goes, we thought Oasis was great.

Re the drive up to Yosemite, is my suggested route all likely to be readily navigable at that time of year in an RV?
    You can never rule out a winter storm causing some disruption to your plans so you will have to keep updated with current conditions as you go. In Yosemite you are sometimes required to carry tyre chains through the park, but you would have to check with your rental company whether they permit this. The Yosemite web site keeps updates on conditions and requirements.