Greetings from Australia!
I initially posted here in November 07 when we were planning a December trip in 08. That went off the rails, but we're back on course no, and tickets have been booked.
I would welcome comments on the following plan:
1. arrive LA 8 December. 5 nights to get over jet lag and take children [13 & 10] to the usual haunts.
2. 13 December - collect RV. We are renting a "small" 25 footer from Apollo fo r10 days. Down to San Diego for 2 nights.
3. depart SD for LV. Hoping to avoid the LA traffic basin if we can. One of the residents on the forum suggested to another poster to consider SD>Julian>Cathedral City> Joshua Tree>Route 40>Route 95 and enter LV via Boulder City. Not sure if that is a good route or a scenic one, and I welcome feedback.
Can we do that comfortably in a day, arriving and setting up camp in LV that night? I have looked at a few RV parks there and like the look of this one.
4. 7 nights in and around LV before we are due to book into accommodation in SF and drop the RV off. In that time we want to show the children the child friendly sights, lights etc in LV, and go at least to Hoover Dam. Ideally we would also like to see the Canyon though I understand the North Rim will be closed and it is quite hike to the South Rim.
Again, I welcome feedback after you see the rest of the agenda as to whether this is feasible in the available time.
5. I'd like to go from LV>Pahrump and through Death Valley, but I understand weather conditions may force us to take an alternate route say back along highway 15, 59 via Bakersfield, then up through Fresno.
Again, I welcome feedback from the experienced posters here who know California. What I really want my children to see in the limited time is their first snow [not too much mind you], Mariposa Grove, the famous redwoods, a day in Yosemite, hopefully one of the scenic gold rush towns like Columnbia, which I understand is worth seeing.
I did a similar trip by car about 20 years back at the same time of year - first time I saw snow too! I know an RV is a different ballgame and am not intending to be a hero, but I hope I can take my family to most of these places safely. I am looking at RV sites in Oakhurst on the way north and Groveland [off H'way 120]
6. arrive in SF on 23 December for a week before heading home.
All constructive feedback is welcome.