1. Default Advice needed for roadtrip

Love this forum!!
    My daughter and I are going to take a roadtrip in June or July of 2010. We plan to take about 3 weeks, starting in east central Arkansas. We know what we want to see but not sure the best way to get there and even if it would be practical to try and visit all these sites. We want to see Carlsbald Caverns, The salt flats, The Grand Canyon, Las Vegas; we are not sure what to do with Texas and we want to get the most out of the trip both coming and going. We are flexable and open to any suggestions.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Loop that Works for You

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I agree that sometimes it can be daunting when you just look at a collection of points on a map to make any rhyme or reason in fitting them together into a workable RoadTrip. But here's an itinerary that might work for you and let you see bit more than you're currently counting on. You can do this loop in either direction, but I'll describe it going clockwise. You'd start out using I-40/I-30/I-20 and US-180/US-62 to Carlsbad, then take US-285 north up to I-40 west and the Grand Canyon via US-89/AS-64 loop. US-93 would then get you from Kingman on I-40 up to Las Vegas. Continue north on US-93 to Wendover, UT and the Bonneville Salt Flats and then head east on I-80 through Salt Lake City and southern Wyoming to I-25 south and Denver. From there I-70/I-135/I-35 and US-64 will bring you back to Little Rock by way of Wichita and Tulsa.

In addition to the places you've already listed, such a route would bring you within visiting distance of the Dealey Plaza in Dallas, the Buffalo Gap Historic Village in Abilene, Petroglyph National Monument in Albuquerque, Petrified Forest National Park, Great Basin National Park, Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area, Rocky Mountain National Park, the Fick Fossil Museum in Oakley, KS, and the Talimena Scenic Byway in eastern Oklahoma and western Arkansas.