1. Default 1st roadtrip, help needed!

Hey everyone,

we hope you can help us with our question(s)!
    We are two friends planning a roadtrip in the states in the summer of 2011. Still two years to go but there is a lot of planning that needs to be done and money saved up!

We really wanna do a coast to coast trip - and we tried to make a map of all the places we wanted to see ect. But that route ended up being 7.711 miles!! As we are gonna travel for 2 months we know that that is a bit too much!!
    So how many miles max do you think we could do in 2 months without too much stress?

Thanks for your help,

Here is our "dream route"! But most of you would probably agree that it is a bit too long. But if you can out of the route could say what we should cut off and what we should keep it would be a lot of help. It is going to be our first time in the states so our seize of usa is not as realistic as it should be! I bet the states are much bigger than we think.

New York - Washington DC - Atlanta - New Orleans - Nashville - Memphis - Tulsa - Roswell - Las Cruces - Tuscon - Phoenix - Santa Fe - Denver - Mount Rushmore - Yellowstone - Salt Lake City - Las Vegas - Fresno - San Francisco - Los Angeles
    Last edited by rocket_queen; 09-04-2009 at 07:08 PM. Reason: route added

Tucson, AZ

Default Not as Far as You Might Think

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Actually, it is not unusual for Americans to do coast-to-coast-to-coast trips in 2 weeks, let alone 2 months. I've done two such trips myself, one in my younger days, and one more recently. So strangely I'm going to suggest that you drive a 'few' (1000 or so) more miles to try to make this trip a bit more enjoyable and perhaps a bit cheaper. Instead of zigzagging all over the place trying to see all of America in one transit of the continent, consider doing a loop that ends back at the city you start in. Assuming that you're coming from Europe and that New York would provide your best, simplest and cheapest round trip airfare from your home, then you can hit all your destinations in this order: New York, Nashville, Memphis, Tulsa, Denver, Rapid City, Yellowstone, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, Fresno, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Tucson, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Roswell, New Orleans, Atlanta, Washington, New York. Besides offering less expensive airfare, this also saves you what is typically a substantial charge (several hundred dollars) for dropping the car off a few thousand miles from where you picked it up. It also lets you see a bit more of the country. But even at around 8,500 miles it means you'll only have to average driving about 150 miles a day or less over your 2 months of vacation. Such a pace is quite maintainable, even if you want to take several days en route to really enjoy particular areas.

At least it's something to think about over the next year or two.

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Plenty of time

Given your available time, I wouldn't say that is too long of a trip. You'll definitely want to space some days out where you're staying in one place interspersed with a few days of mainly being on the road. I'm surprised that your map "only" came up to @7700 miles. That you were surprised by this figure brings me to agree with you that your perspective of the size of the country may be a bit off base. So, for some help on that, I present the following information:

The states in the East are moderately sized when compared to those in the West. For perspective, Colorado is roughly 20,000km2 larger than England; Oklahoma is roughly the same size as the whole of New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island).

Yellowstone itself is the size of Rhode Island and Delaware put together.

You will see what effect this has had on the country in a pronounced way as you travel from New York City to the region West of the Mississippi River.

4. Default

Thank you so much for all your help!

I have no made a map going from NY to LA and back to NY again! And though the trip is of coures longer i def see that it makes more sense like that! So thank you - I bet as time comes closer I will have a lot more questions.